No announcement yet.

Law questions about running.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Law questions about running.

    I'm 18 today and I've been in the run for over 2 years now. I'm tired of running. Since I'm 18 today, did anyone know if my case is dropped? If not, will it be dropped soon? If I call my ssw, will she call the police and have me arrested? Do I have to go back? Can I finally see a doctor, go to school, etc?

  • #2
    Reply: Law questions about running.

    Thanks for contacting the national Runaway Safeline.

    Unfortunately we are not legal experts in the law. We can however explore options for legal aid service in your area. If you would like to we can conference a call to your social worker so you might get an update on your legal staus.
    If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options for legal services please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with NRS at

    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I'm thinking about running away with a friend. I' 17 years of age and a senior in highschool. Can I get in any trouble for not finishing highschool, or my parent.


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're trying to be responsible in dealing with difficult circumstances by considering the consequences of your actions. While we're not legal experts, we can speak in generalities. To answer your question, since you're 17, you generally need parental consent to leave home. Your parents have the right to file a runaway report with your local police who will bring you back to your parents if they find you. Anyone who is not your legal guardian providing you with shelter if you run away may be charged with harboring a runaway youth. There aren't any legal consequences for not finishing high school that we know of. We are so glad that you're contacting us and asking questions. If you want you can also contact us by phone. We're a 24/7 hotline and our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929). Take care.

    • #4
      Hi. I’m 17. I’ll be 18 in april 7th. I live in Texas, and there’s a lot of drama going on at my house. I was wondering if my parents could get the police involved if I ran away.


      • #5

        Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,


        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove