Wanting to leave with my gf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to leave with my gf

So me and my gf have been dating for 4 months and yeah it sounds crazy but we love each other and have been through quite a bit together. She lives 3 hours away from me and her mom hates me for reasons unrelated to this so I’ll get straight to the point. We have created a plan on going away for a bit not running away but just going places and having fun like a normal teenage couple since we wouldn’t be able to normally do that with her parents being strict and all. I’m 16 and she’s 15 and I’d drive up to her at night to pick her up and we’d leave immediately to a different state to explore and have an adventure and afterwards I’d bring her right back home once we have finished with our fun. Is there anything that could happen to me with the it being I’m the one driving and the one who picked her up? And since I’m 16 is there any charges that her mom or dad could press against me? I’ve made sure she was serious and wanting this 100% and she’s very serious and so am I. Now of course there’s more to this as in how her mom treats her and how strict her mom is and what affect it has on my gf mental health. She’s self harmed and had thoughts of suicide from her mom and I just want to keep her safe.

Hi, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS.

It sounds like you really care for your girlfriend, or as you say, love her, and she’s lucky to have someone like you in her life who is concerned for her well-being. In terms of charges that can get pressed against you, it is possible that both of you could be reported as runaways, which for the most part puts you on the police’s radar. Running away isn’t illegal; in some states it is considered a “status offense,” but if the police find you, unless they learn that there is abuse at home, the police have the obligation to return you to your legal/parental guardians. There is a possibility that you would be at risk of having some minor charges for contributing to the delinquency of a minor or harboring a runaway; however, the fact that you are also a minor and not much older leans more in your favor. Of course, if you engage in other illegal acts, such as stealing food, doing drugs, etc. then there could be legal consequences for that.

You mentioned that you only want to do this temporarily, so it might be important to consider how your families might respond or what will happen when the two of you return. It also could be good to consider logistics like how you two will keep yourselves safe if you’re leaving town, how you’ll meet your basic needs, what to do if you do run into trouble, etc.

Please know our hotline is available 24/7 if you ever want to talk to someone over the phone to further discuss your plans and see if there are some resources that might be helpful to you: (800) RUNAWAY. Best of luck to you!

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X