No announcement yet.

I wanna run away with my girlfriend, but I’m a diabetic.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I wanna run away with my girlfriend, but I’m a diabetic.

    So, I really want to run away with my girlfriend. But one problem here is that i’m a 13 year old diabetic. We both feel unsafe in our homes currently, and we just wanna leave. This would be much easier if I didn’t have diabetes, but since I do I have no idea how this would work. I was thinking about rationalizing my insulin by only eating when I get a low blood sugar, but I have a feeling that won’t work out. What are we supposed to do about that?

  • #2
    Hey there! Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

    In thinking about running away, it's always a good idea to try and have some sort of plan in place to try and ensure your general safety. This can be hard under "normal" circumstances, but having a chronic health condition that requires ongoing maintenance can absolutely make it more of a challenge. In leaving home without a plan in place and access to insulin, you're essentially trading one unsafe environment for another. It's important to keep in mind that if you're at risk of being homeless and/or living in a shelter, you might also find yourself in a higher stress environment, which could, on its own, impact your diabetes. But you also might be facing times where you don't have regular access to food. So eating only when you get low blood sugar might sound good in theory, but you're right in saying that it likely won't work out. It's also a lot harder to eat the healthier foods that your body needs when you're homeless, as often times, you'll be eating whatever you can get. And generally speaking, cheaper foods are comprised of all the things that just might wreak havoc on your body. And while it does sound like you're thinking some about how much insulin you have on hand, it's also important to think about what happens when it's gone.

    You mentioned that both you and your girlfriend are feeling unsafe in your homes. If either of you are experiencing abuse, a good route to consider would be filing an abuse report with Child Protective Services (CPS). If accepted, CPS will then conduct an investigation to learn more about what's going on at home, striving to ensure the safety and wellbeing of any children who live in the home. While sometimes this does mean that children are then removed from the home, it's also possible that CPS will try and put supports in place and provide resources for the family to try and ensure that whatever is happening in the home is addressed. If filing a report with CPS is something that you'd like to do, you can file a report yourself by calling your local CPS agency. You can also disclose any abuse to a safe person at school, like a teacher or a social worker. They're considered Mandated Reporters and will file a report on your behalf. You're also welcome to contact us here at NRS and we can file a report for you, or with you--whatever you're most comfortable with. While we understand that filing a report with CPS might be a bit scary, it may be an option worth considering to ensure that you have regular access to your insulin, as well as medical care in general, if removed from the home.

    If you'd like to talk in more detail about what's going on at home or learn more about filing a report with CPS, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

    Take care.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      My friend and I are running away from home. She has type 2diabetes. How can we make sure she is taken care of?


      • ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        There are many, many problems to solve if you are thinking of running away. And healthcare is a major problem as a minor can't get healthcare on their own without consent of a parent or guardian. And there is no way around that, so you will have to consider your plan more carefully because diabetic supplies are usually only available by prescription, which you won't be able to get.
        We are here 24/7 to talk further with you about the reasons you plan to run away. We are here to support you. We truly hope to hear from you soon.

    • #4
      My friend and I wanna run away our parents are verbally abusive but shes 15 I'm 17 and we have no money we've both ran away before but got caught we wanna leave so bad they make us suicidal


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you and your friend want to run away due to having parents who are verbally abusive. Both of you do not deserve to be treated this way. It also sounds like you both have tried running away in the past and got caught. It could be helpful to talk to a trusted adult to see if they can help in any way or if there may be a family member who can help or let you stay with them. We do not want you to hurt yourself or feel like that is the only option. We do recommend that if you feel you are in immediate danger, to call 911. Otherwise, if you would like to discuss this further, please call our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us online at We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp