I’m 15 and I want to live with my friend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 15 and I want to live with my friend

I’m 15 and in 10th grade, I wouldn’t say my family is horrible but it’s hard to live with them. I have severe anxiety and am struggling with depression. I have never attempted or been hospitalized but I used to do self harm. My mom has told me several times too just suck it up and deal with my anxiety because it’s not that big of a deal. She starts arguments, or more of lectures of what I’m doing wrong and I used to try and make a statement back but usually it just got my mom more mad at me or she made a horrible statement back. I have learned to just keep quiet and let them be mad. I struggle to sleep at nights due to anxiety or horrible thoughts of myself but neither of my parents try to recognize those reason. They blame it on my video games or being a teenager. In fact they never have given a thought to my mental health. There was one night where I had a huge panic attack and wanted to kill myself, my friend and his mom drove to make sure I was okay. When my mom got back from her trip and heard, she did nothing. Not even came to check on me. I feel like a disappointment ever day in this house, and I feel like my parents just don’t care. So I was wondering how I could go live on my own or with my friend (the one that drove to check on me). I have a part time job that pays 11 dollars an hour which isn’t enough to live on my own but it could help with food ans other stuff if I did live with my friend. They don’t live the easiest life and the last thing I would want is a burden. I was hoping with the money I get from my job I could use to help with their groceries and save some so I could move out at 18. My friend joked that if I just snapped and yelled at my mom how I feel because she has no idea how much she hurts me that she may just kick me out lol. I mean she kicked my brother out for a few days when he wouldn’t go to the grocery store with her so it doesn’t seem to far off. I was just wondering if there was an easier way. Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and help out in any way that we can. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now at home. In most states, you are considered a minor at the age of 15 and your parents are legally responsible for you until you reach the age of 18. As such, your parents will have the final say on where you live. If your parents agree on having your friend’s parents become your guardian you could move in to their home. You mentioned living on your own. If you were to runaway and your parents filed a runaway report there is a chance that the police may find you and return you home. It is also possible that if you left home to stay with a friend, your friend could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now with your anxiety and depression. You are very brave for reaching out and we would like to let you know that you are not alone. It might be a good idea to reach out to a trusted adult or school counselor to talk about your feelings. If you ever need to talk to someone, don't hesitate to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Another resource available is the Crisis Text Line which is a free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text 741741 from anywhere in the US to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. We really hope this information helps you. We encourage you to call or try our Live Chat if you’d like to get into more detail or just talk about things happening in your life. We wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X