Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaway with army boyfriend/fiancee

I am 18 years old and my boyfriend is 20 years old. We have been dating for close to a year and are undoubtedly in love. I wear a promise ring now,
    and he has bought me an engagement ring, but has not popped the question due to my parents' rule that I can't get married until after I graduate college.

However, due to some family drama, my parents hate him and his parents hate me. We broke up for a small amount of time due to this dilemma,
    but have since then worked things out. However, neither of our parents know we are back together due to the absolute chaos that would ensue, but we plan to tell
    them soon.

He is going to basic training for the Army in a little over a month. When he returns, he will be given orders to where he will be stationed. This ranges from a base in
    the United States to Germany or Japan for non-combat embassy work.

I go to college about 4 hours away from our hometown, but I absolutely hate it there. I was already planning on transferring at the end of the year.

My parents are very strict and are very set on me going to college for 4 years, playing volleyball in college, and then either getting a job or going to grad school.
    Their dream is for me to move to a big city and be exposed to that kind of lifestyle. I have grown up in a small town all my life and have loved every second of it.

My boyfriend and I have talked it over, and we have decided that the best way to make our relationship work is to run away when he gets back from basic training, and
    go wherever he is stationed, so that we can live together and finally have the life that we have been dreaming about.

I have a burning desire to go somewhere different, and be rid of my parents ball and chains and just live my life. While my parents have done a lot for me,
    they can be absolutely unbearable, especially when I want to do something that is not according to their plan. While that is not the only reason I want to run away,
    it is definitely a contributing factor.

I have no doubt in my mind that my boyfriend will always stay with me, and that I will not have to run home if he were to dump me or something when times
    got hard. The reasons I am scared to run away is that I still love my family and my friends, and I would be giving up a lot to do this. But to me, it is
    worth it because I can always come back once me and my boyfriend have created a life together and ask for forgiveness. I also feel like a lot of people would
    judge me for wanting to do this because there is a stereotype that young girls who run off to be with a guy are stupid and immature. Lastly, we would most likely be living
    on base, and I would know absolutely no one, which is a very scary when you are in a new place with only one person you know, but that person may be deployed at any time.

At the end of the day, I just want to be happy. This man makes me the happiest girl in the world, and I would truly do anything for him, and it is the same for him towards
    me.

I am just looking for some non-judgemental guidance and advice on what I should do.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Runaway with army boyfriend/fiancee

Hello there,

Thanks for posting your story on our forum. It sounds like you love your boyfriend very much and are willing to go to great lengths to be with him. It sounds really hard to deal with when your parents don’t understand your feelings while you try and be happy with him.

You seem to have a lot support from your boyfriend and hope to have a future with him, however, you are feeling torn leaving your family and friends behind? If you would like to talk through some of those thoughts and explore some options, we are here by phone 24/7. We can best help by phone or chat to talk through your options.

We’re not here to dissuade you from your choice to run away with your boyfriend, but we do want to make sure you’re safe if you do leave. Please consider giving us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and someone here would be able to talk to you in greater detail about your plan and see what options you’d have available to you. Our mission is to keep youth safe and off the street, we’re confidential and open 24/7. If you can’t call, please consider our Live Chat right here on this website.

We hope you reach out soon.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X