No announcement yet.

Considering Running Away, but Under 18

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Considering Running Away, but Under 18

    Hi... So... I'm 15, and I live in Ohio... I've been considering running away for awhile now. Basically my family and my boyfriend don't mix well and they're throwing this gigantic hissy-fit about him. I'd normally listen, but he's leaving for the military soon and I won't get to see him very often. But no matter what they won't listen, and I'm sick of putting up with their constant criticism and complaining about how I betrayed them just because I love someone enough that I'm willing to go to this length to be with them...
    There's no abuse involved but... I'm just sick of being with them and their judgement and just... everything. At this point I dread going home, to a pack of people who do nothing but make me want to self-harm again and feel suicidal even though I just got over all of that. If it weren't for how supportive my boyfriend is, I'd be back to all those terrible habits. I've tried everything I can think of to convince them to at least leave me alone about it if nothing else, but nothing has worked.
    I'm thinking maybe if I run away they'll finally realize how serious I am about this. My mom has expected me to run away before... and when she said it she was really nonchalant about it... they hate my boyfriend just because he supports me and my decision to not listen to them because they're making me miserable
    It's only getting worse and I'm sick of putting up with it. Ive been packing my things, we've planned and prepared everything out for me to stay with my boyfriend, even his mom is ok with it but I'm still scared. I'm only 15, and what will I do if she just leaves me and decides that I'm not worth it? What will I do if she calls the police? I'm not sure if it's against the law to run away like this.
    I'm going to try to get a job as soon as I can... But without abuse or neglect in the household I'm afraid everybody is just going to tell me that I'm being a stupid little girl, and I know a lot of this sounds really pitiful, and force me to go back because my reason is immature. If it comes to it, I'd be willing to just stay with him and his family (Although I would like to get my stuff if that happens). I'm just not quite sure what to do. I really just want to leave, just get this fight done and over with... But I don't want to get either of our families into legal trouble and I'm afraid that I would. Does anybody know anything about laws in Ohio and stuff that I could make this work out somehow?

  • #2
    Re: Considering Running Away, but Under 18

    Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing what is going on. Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and are really smart to get more information before making a move. It must feel terrible to dread going home and be criticized by your family when your boyfriend has been providing so much support to you. We are sorry to hear that you are going through this. You mentioned harming yourself and feeling suicidal. You are definitely not alone and there are organizations that can help if you feel like things are getting too difficult. The number for the National Suicide Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.
    You also commented that your parents and boyfriend don’t mix. Have you considered talking to your parents about why they feel this way? We understand that this can be a hard conversation to have, but could be helpful to get to the bottom of before taking such a big step. Here at NRS we offer a service that would involve having one of our Liners on the phone with you to moderate a call with your parents to help with these tough conversations. If you would like more information about this please call us at 1-800-786-2929.
    Similarly, having conversation with your boyfriend and his mom about what things will be like after he leaves for the military could be beneficial. You asked some really good questions above that would be good to clear up before deciding to move in. Also, are there things that can be done to make being at home a better situation for you?
    While we can’t answer specific legal questions, we can tell you that in many states the age of majority is 18, so the police may bring you back home if your parents file a runaway report. Contacting the non-emergency number for the police department in your area is an option to find out what they would do in your situation.
    Again, we are so glad you contacted us. If you would like to talk more about the situation and explore additional options, please call us. We are here to help 24 hours a day at 1-800-786-2929.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp