No announcement yet.

should i leave my parents when i turn 18 and move away with my boyfriend

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • should i leave my parents when i turn 18 and move away with my boyfriend

    i have been in many issues with my family mainly my mother about my boyfriend .they always say he's the worst thing that's happen to me but in my case they don't know half of what hes done for me .Hes taken the time to get me out of depression and so much more . Now as a senior in high school and him turning 18 in December and me turning 18 in June and i also graduate in June .His grandmother is willing to come and pick us both up when we are 18 and go away to live with her in Lubbock ,TX . i live in Houston and i wanna know if its a good idea i mean i hate that my family wants to pay for all my senior stuff i dont want them to because it will make me feel guilty when i leave .And i mean when we get to Lubbock we will be following our future paths and going to college and i will be going into the navy .Im i crazy or should i go through with my plans ?
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 10-19-2016, 10:55 PM.

  • #2
    Re: should i leave my parents when i turn 18 and move away with my boyfriend


    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home with your family right now. Home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

    You shared that you dealt with depression and that your boyfriend helped you out of it. That is great that you have that support from your boyfriend. If you are still dealing with depression, we can help you look up counselors or mental health professionals in your area. Your school counselor may also be an option. You deserve to be happy.

    You explained that once you turn 18, you have a plan to move to Lubbock, TX with your boyfriend and to live with his grandmother. It sounds like you have thought through this plan in detail. While we can’t tell you what you should do, we can help you explore your plan further and think through all of your options. For example, some things to think about if you were to move in with your boyfriend’s grandmother, would be to think about how you would pay for food, clothes, transportation, medical needs and other things like that. You also mentioned that you have a plan to go to college and join the Navy. When exploring your future, you could try reaching out to colleges you want to go to or a Navy representative to talk about these details. Ultimately, it is up to you what you decide to do. It sounds like you are very responsible and have been planning for a successful future once you graduate high school.

    Also, while we are not legal experts, generally speaking, as long as you are no longer a minor, your parents can’t file a runaway report on you. Once you are considered a legal adult, you have the right to move/live wherever you choose.

    If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at We look forward to hearing from you.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp