No announcement yet.

Can I leave parents at 16 if they are breaking the law?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I leave parents at 16 if they are breaking the law?

    I am currently 16 birthday not until September 28 next year.
    My dad decided to marry a 19 year old girl that I was in love with. I even talked to her about marrying once I was of age. She claimed to love me as well.(That's beside the point.)
    My dad is already legally married to my mom and has been for about 16 years.
    I hate living in this sick environment of her being my dads wife.
    I have gone through depression and attempted suicide. Now I am not that low anymore. But I am sick of living in this pain daily. This started about eight months ago (my dad sleeping with her)
    I am at the end of my rope and tolerance. If I can't all out leave because if this, can I at least try for emancipation on my own?
    I do not have a job but I have lots of family ready to help me out in Texas.
    Oh and I am homeschooled and planning to take the SAT and be done next year.

  • #2
    Re: Can I leave parents at 16 if they are breaking the law?

    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have an issue with your father marrying someone who is much younger than himself. It is understandable why you would have an issue with this. It sounds like this girl was a big part of your life and now things are completely upside down. It also sounds like you have been having a hard time dealing with all of these changes and have had some issues with depression and suicide but have overcome them. That is great to hear! It just goes to show how strong of a person you are.
    You mentioned that you are interested in emancipation but unfortunately when considering emancipation the judge likes to see that the youth is able to take care of themselves. This usually includes the youth having a job, being self-sufficient and continuing their education. Also with emancipation this process can take a considerable amount of time and be quite expensive. Good news is that you mentioned that you have some family in TX that can help you out. Do you think that it could be an option for you to go and live there? If so with your fathers consent then there should be nothing stopping you. If this is something that you would like to explore more we can talk to you and your dad about it. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners will be happy to assist you.1-800-RUNAWAY
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp