Friend is considering running away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend is considering running away.

My friend (I'll call her "Katie", she's aged 17) is having a lot of troubles at home (money-wise, parents arguing, she says she's being "treated like a baby", etc.).

She messaged a trusted teacher at our school that she wants to run away. The teacher said she would have to report it (a good thing to do). Katie stopped messaging her afterward and texted me.

I have given her the National Runaway Safeline number (which she said she doesn't want to call if she runs) and asked her repeatedly to stay safe (especially since she has a history of self harm and suicide attempts).

I don't know how to further help her. She does not have a plan at this moment. I don't know if she is serious, but I just need some advice if she is. I am unable to harbor her if she does run away.

Re: Friend is considering running away.

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a friend who is planning on running away and you are just about one of the only people that they still trust. We know that you mentioned that they told you that they do not plan on calling us if they do run away, but you could let then inform her about our philosophy. Here at the National Runaway Safeline we provide non-directive, non-judgmental crisis intervention for homeless, runaway at risk youth and their families. This basically means that whatever you tell us will stay between us and we are not here to convince you to do anything. Our only main concern is that she is somewhere safe or is planning on going somewhere safe.
    If this sounds like something that she would feel comfortable with then she can give us a call anytime at our 24 hour toll-free hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X