Runaway with my boyfriend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaway with my boyfriend

My boyfriend and I want me to move in with him. He is 20 and I am 18 so it is legal but I am scared to do so. I know that this is what I truly want. If I were to move away then could I take my belongings with me? Could my parents charge me for taking stuff with me? Would it be smart to take my social security card and birth certificate with me? Is there anything else I would need if I were to move out? I was planning on leaving my debit card and credit card because it is under my father's name. Also, I would leave the car behind because it is not under my name either. My life at home is difficult because my parents don't love me like they love my other siblings. I have other reasons too but I hate how they treat me. My mom and dad have told my other siblings this information and it hurts to stay in a place where I am alienated from my own family. I have always been treated like a maid in my family. My mom and dad would tell me to wash the dishes, clean the house, do the laundry, and get them things like water and food, while my siblings did absolutely nothing. I have been thinking about this for a while and my boyfriend and I have joked about it, but now we are getting serious. Although he is accepting me with open arms, I can't help but feel like a burden to him and his family. I love him so much and I love his family too, but he is Mexican and I am Korean so there is a language barrier between his parents and me. I am currently trying to learn Spanish to communicate with them better. My boyfriend has told me that his parents and family adore me, and I can see it too when I go to visit them so that is a relief. I want to start a life with him and have him by me side all the time. He wants to do the best thing for us and I believe that this is it. Could this idea work? What would I need to take with me to ensure that I don't have to visit my parents again? How will I know that I have all the stuff I need to start a new life? My boyfriend and I want to get married in the near future so what documents do I need to provide when we want to get married? Your response is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Runaway with my boyfriend

Hello and thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are not feeling supported in the way you expect to be treated at home. You sound unhappy and hurt by the way you stated your family treats you. You seem to have support from your boyfriend and hope to have a future with him, however, you are feeling torn with what to do. You ask a lot of important questions, however, we cannot tell you what to do. If you would like to talk through some of those questions and explore some safe options we are here by phone 24/7. We can best help by phone or chat to talk through your options.

We hope you reach out soon.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X