I'm 17 my boyfriend is 23

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 my boyfriend is 23

In 17 years old which is the legal age of consent in Texas, where I live. The guy I'm talking to is 23 years old and I tried asking my mother about it. She told me I'm not allowed to be with him.
    If the legal age of consent is 23, can she legally tell me I can't be with him? Am I required to have HER parental consent to be his girlfriend or can I just date him without her permission since the penal code 20.011 and 20.11 says the age if consent is 17.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS. You are correct in that the age of consent in Texas does appear to be 17, so you legally are allowed to date someone who is 23 years old. If you are living with your mother, however, she may have her own rules that she expects you to abide by so long as you are living under her roof. Breaking those rules is not necessarily against the law, but until you turn 18, you are legally still a minor, and as your legal guardian, she can still exert certain control over decisions about where you live, as well as your access to healthcare and education. Therefore, although you are legally allowed to date whoever you want, it would essentially be up to your mom to decide if she wants to enforce any sort of her own consequence for you if she learns you have gone against her rules, similar to any other rule she may have set. If you have any interest in calling our hotline, we can discuss your situation further and also offer conference calls with family members, incase you think it would help to try talking to your mom over the phone with the assistance of a liner. Our hotline is (800) 786-2929. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X