I'm 12 and I want to run far away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 12 and I want to run far away

I've wanted to run away for a really long time but I never actually did it. But now my family isn't a happy place, I'm having problems with friends,
    and I just want to leave. My dad and my brother are always fighting. None of my friends are ever there for me and they didn't try to help when I was self
    harming. I suffer from depression and I take medication but I still want to hurt myself most of the time. I feel like running away is my only option now... I'm
    trying to save up money for when I get out of here, I'm serious about it this time. But I want to know, are there shelters that take in runaways that I could go
    to if I didn't have a place to stay? How far would the police go to find me if they knew I had run away from home? I'm 12 and female. Please help.

Re: I'm 12 and I want to run far away

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.
    We are sorry to hear that things have gotten so bad for you at home that you are planning on running away from home. It is understandable that you would want to leave a house where your father and brother are always fighting.
    You mentioned that you have depression and are prescribed medication but you are still having thoughts of self-harm. We want you to know that you always have the right to talk to your doctor and let them know that you feel like the medication is not working. Although we are not experts in self-harm and if this is something that you would like to focus on until you are able to talk to your doctor. You can contact https://twloha.com/ To Write Love on Her Arms is a nonprofit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire, and invest directly into treatment and recovery.
    It is great that you are trying to save up money before you runaway. A lot of kids do not think ahead when it comes to running away. Since you mentioned that have you also though about
    -How will your parents react to you leaving?
    -Will they call the police?
    -Do you have a safe place to go?
    -What about school? Is continuing an education important to you?
    -How are you going to survive? Food? Shelter? Transportation? Money?
    -Who can you depend on if you were to leave home?
    - What is your plan B if your first plan does not work out?
    -Who have you reached out to make things better at home?
    -If you were forced to return home, what do you think that would look like?

You asked if there are any shelters that you can go to. We have a computer database of runaway/homeless shelters and could see what is around you so you are not on the street. AS to what lengths the police will to, to find you can vary. If you like we can contact your local police department. If you would like we could contact your local non-emergency number for you or with you. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners would be happy to assist you.
    We do hope that you reach out to us through phone or chat to discuss your situation in more detail. Our goal is to help you find ways to stay safe. We would be happy to look up resources in your area, talk with you about your options, or just listen to what you’re going through.

We do not want to leave you without options because your safety is our number one priority. We hoped this helped and we encourage you to call our 24/7 hotline at 1800.786.2929 or you can chat with us every day from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We hoped this helped and we look forward to hearing from you. We wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Calling the hotline isn't an option

Hi, (this is the same poster as before) I can't really call the hotline because my mom listens to my calls. I want to stay off the streets like you said, but I don't know if there are any shelters near me. What places beside shelters could I go to? Or are there any? There probably aren't any but I'm just checking because I'm nervous about leaving. Sorry.

Comment

RE: Calling the hotline isn't an option

Hello there,
        It’s ok if you can’t call, that’s why we have the Live Chat option. Usually you would be able to use the Live Chat right from this website on any mobile device or computer that can access the internet. We just can’t post the phone numbers for shelters and other resources due to the public nature of the forum.
        It sounds like you’re on the fence about leaving. We can talk about that too. We’d be happy to discuss other options that might be available to you, but that usually is up to your personal support network.
        Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
        -NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

So I am 13 and I feel like running away. I am just like the original poster. I am a girl and my home does not feel like a safe place. I am leaving home very soon within the next couple of days. I have tried to use the chat fir help but they would only tell me not to run away. They did not help with forming a safe plan. I even asked them specificly. Is this normal or just one liner who is annoyed that i am takeing up their time? I sorely need the help. I don't know what to do but i don't want to waste someones time I just feel so alone. I still need to find shelters for me to go to in case something goes wrong. Could you please help me with this? I need an answer quickly.

Comment

Hi, thank you for reaching out again. It sounds like you are going through a hard time and want a safety plan for running away. You are not wasting our time, and we are definitely here for you 24/7. You seem very smart to be thinking of a safety plan, however, we at NRS do not provide formal safety plans. Some things to think about are: where will you go when you run away? Also, will you be safe there? And will your parents look for you when you leave? While running away is not illegal, if your parents file a runaway report and the police pick you up you could be returned to your parents unless they deem your safety to be threatened there. Also, if you stay with another person they could be charged with harboring a minor.
            If you are still considering running away, you want to plan for practical things like how you will be able to eat and possibly go to school. How will you support yourself? If you call or chat us we can provide resources for local youth shelters.
            Again, thank you for reaching out. You seem very brave, and it takes a lot to ask for help. Please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat us again if you need to talk again. Best wishes from us at NRS!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X