Im 19 and my parents wont let me move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 19 and my parents wont let me move out

I'm the baby of six kids, I turned 19 in February of this year. My parents are pretty strict when it comes to me. I've been in a relationship for about a year now and well things have happened where he's going to be moving two cities over. He wants me to go and I want to go with him. I work and I take care of myself. I have a way to get to work and everything from there. The only problem is my parents. When I tried asking my mom about it she said "your ass is staying here so don't think you're going anywhere". I don't know what to do. I want to move out and get my life started but if I do my mom and dad will disown me and I love them so much that don't want them to. Please help me.

Reply: Im 19 and my parents wont let me move out

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are having a dilemma over moving out of your parent’s home and in with your boyfriend because of your parents possibly cutting off contact with you.
    As you stated you are 19yrs of age self-supporting with the right to make your own decisions.
    However we understand that having your parents in your life is pretty important to you.
    That’s honorable of you.

We would like to hear more about your situation and how you were hoping NRS might help. Consider giving us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org (Live chat).

Another option might be to consider having a sit down with your parents along with your boyfriend (your option) and communicate your plan to them.
    Hopefully you can have a constructive conversation with positive results.

We wish you the best.

Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 19 now but I feel like I can't do anything without being ********** our at and can't go do anything wirhouw someone knowing. I met guy I resrea loved but he wants me to move in with him but my mom and grandpa and twin sister wont let me I don't know what to do I don't wanna sit here forever not do anything

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. Some things to think about before moving are perhaps evaluating if the guy you want to move out with is someone you can trust. Often times people just want to lure us into coming with them for their own reasons. Making sure you have a backup plan if things go wrong is always good as well. Perhaps having a friend you can reach out might help. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X