Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend Running away, trying to get to a different state.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend Running away, trying to get to a different state.

My friend (16) just told me she is running away from home. I know that things at her house are tense, and that both of her parents can be/are emotionally abusive to her. As of now, though, I am unaware of what specific issue is causing her to run away.

After listening to her plan, I'm concerned for her safety- she plans on riding her bike cross-country, from here [Ohio] to California where one of her friends are. As far as I know, she has no plans for food, money, or shelter.

I want to be able to help her, and maybe talk her out of it, but I can't do very much due to state laws and my parents are reluctant to do anything brash because of her age. She plans on leaving tomorrow, sometime during the day.

Please... I can't think of anything that I can do to help, and it's tearing me apart.

Re: Friend Running away, trying to get to a different state.

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really hard for your friend at home. It is great to see that you are looking out for your friend and trying to explore options for them. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us.
    Your friends plan to bike cross country can be hard and unsafe in many situations. She might need to think about how she might pay for food, shelter. It can also be not safe to be out on the streets in many situations. In the summer months warm weather can make conditions unsafe to be out for longer periods of time. Dehydration and fatigue can set in early in many cases. Just talking to your friend about the risks and explaining all possible consequences can be a great way to help out your friend. Also while we are not legal experts here, just speaking generally if her parents are to file a police report the police can bring them back home.
    She doesn’t have to go through this hard time by herself. We are here for you and your friend. You can always reach out to us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we would be happy to explore your options, just listen to you and provide any other resources.
    We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.
    Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X