17 and pregnant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and pregnant

Im 17 years old, and i had a child about 3 months and a half ago with my boyfriend. we have been together for a year and a half and my parents know his parents. His mom has offered me to stay with them, i will be turning 18 in a couple months, and i want to live with them and my son with him, my dad mentally abuses me and treats me like i’m a slave, i cry about every night because i want to leave so bad. can i leave and live with the father of my child? and leave my parents house? and if the cops come do i have to go back?

Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry that living at home with your dad has been so difficult. No one has the right to be abusive towards you, and you deserve to feel safe in your home. It sounds like you’re considering staying with your boyfriend & his family, but you have some concerns about how that might play out. You’re asking some really great questions and, while we are not legal experts, we can share general information.If you feel unsafe at home, you always have the option of reporting abusive behavior. Agencies like Child Help, available at 1.800.422.4453 can help you report abusive behavior. Please feel free to give us a call if you need to talk, or would like more information about reporting.

From what we understand, if you are considered a minor in your state, your parent or legal guardian decides where you live. If you leave without their consent, then your parent/legal guardian has the right to file a runaway report with your local police department. What happens after that depends on how your local police department chooses to handle the report. If your local police is willing to look for you, and they come to your boyfriend’s family home, they would most likely return you to your parent/legal guardian. The best way to confirm how your local police department would handle runaway reports is to call them at their non-emergency number. You do not have to share any identifying information to ask questions of the local police, and if you’re nervous about calling them, we encourage you to give us a call and we can help conference call out to local police with you.
    Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe regardless of what you decide. Please feel free to give us a call 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or send us a chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod16; 07-30-2019, 10:11 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X