I'm 19 and my bf is 16 and we want to live together

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 19 and my bf is 16 and we want to live together

My boyfriend is 16 and I'm 19 he is in high school and I am in college we met online gaming so were in a long distance relationship I live far up north Georgia and he lives far down south Florida and we both have jobs.

I'm getting an apartment soon and when I get one he and I both want him to move in with me, I was wondering would he be able to live in an apartment with me since he is 16? His parents are completely fine with him moving in with me, in fact, they encourage it and they think it is a good idea (even with the fact I'm his girlfriend and older XD).

So we have his parents consent, but would he be allowed to legally or whatever and are there any terms or conditions or any information or tips we or I should know about?

Hey there, thanks for posting! Sounds like you and your boyfriend are really thinking ahead and planning things out. That is smart of you both.

We are not legal experts, but from what we know about youth laws, with parental permission, a 16 year old can live elsewhere as long as it is safe and provides the necessities, since the parents are still legally responsible for the well-being of the teenager.

It sounds like you and he already talked to his parents and they too are on board so you have that part covered. You may just need to notify the landlord/rental company that two people are living there and one is under 18 (legal age in most states). If you have any other specific legal questions, legal aid in your state may be able to help. We have a database of a lot of resources, including legal aid, based on specific cities/states nationwide. If you are interested in this, feel free to call us or live chat. We can best help directly and are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 or through chat at the top of this website.

Best of luck with your new apartment!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X