No announcement yet.

I’m turning 18 and my dad won’t allow me to plan to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m turning 18 and my dad won’t allow me to plan to move out

    My dad is very abusive and controlling. He’s been working on not hitting me but it’s times where he does. My boyfriend witnessed when my dad was kicking me from that point on my boyfriend has been saving up money to get me out. So I saved my money as well , I talked to my boyfriends mom about the problem and she agreed to co sign for a house for lease. Only problem is my dad won’t let me think about moving out because he said he would disown me and won’t help me anymore. I’ve ran away from home multiple times and My boyfriend has helped me so many times. Recently my dad found out I was planning to move out after my birthday , so now he wants to move me to Oklahoma to separate me from my boyfriend. My boyfriend wants me to leave before my dad takes me to Oklahoma which I don’t turn 18 until about a month, which I’m afraid I don’t have enough time before he plans to separate me from him . Ps I live in Houston Tx

  • #2
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really difficult situation dealing with your dad and him taking you to Oklahoma a month before you turn 18. That sounds like a scary, really unfair situation, and abuse is never okay. Here at NRS, we truly want to he a support for you during this difficult time.

    We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. In Texas, 17 is a grey area, and it is up to local police with whether or not they would take a runaway report for you with just a month until you turn 18. If you haven't already, you might try to talk to a local officer to see whether or not they would consider you a runaway if you did not move with your dad. If you would like assistance talking to a local officer please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You might also let them know about the abuse in the household if you feel comfortable doing so. If they will not take a runaway report for you, there is no legal way your dad can force you to move.

    You also do have the right to report any abuse happening in the household to child protective services. It's understandable if you are not interested in going that route with only a month left as a minor, but please call or chat us if you would like to go through your reporting options.

    Generally speaking, it's within your dad's rights as your guardian to make you move, but in a month when you turn 18, you would still be able to move out without his consent. So if worst comes to worst, and you do have to go to Oklahoma, you might try to have a way planned back to Houston in a month so you are not stuck there. As unfair as this situation is, it does seem temporary and you are so close to being an adult.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation and help with brainstorming your options. We are here to listen, here to help: 1-800-RUNAWAY;


    Last edited by ccsmod7; 06-18-2019, 05:17 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove