16 and want to run away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and want to run away.

Im in Utah. I just want to run away to Nebraska to be with boyfriend but i know i shouldn't runaway. Is there a way i could just go over there for a few days and then come back?

Hello and thank you for reaching out to NRS with your question. Although we are not legal experts, hopefully we can help you. Generally it’s not illegal for you to leave home but if your legal guardians file a runaway report the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway if your boyfriend’s family doesn’t cooperate with the police. Rarely, the police will hold a youth in juvenile detention for 24 or 48 hours, just until the legal guardian can pick up the youth. Most likely the police would still take you back home. Depending on your age and the police department polices they might not accept runaway reports if you are close to becoming an adult. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you are wanting to go stay with your boyfriend for just a few days, you could consider asking your parents for permission before you go to avoid any police involvement. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example we could be on the line while you explain why you want to go stay with your boyfriend. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X