No announcement yet.

Urgent, please help!!!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Urgent, please help!!!!

    I'm 16. So is my boyfriend. We're both trans and he's been manipulated for a really, really long time now. His mother is now threatening to leave the house for good, leaving him there on his own with no money but his own, or to kick him out because he can't get a job (he has no driver's license, his town is 5 miles away, and he has school and many clubs as well as depression and likely is traumatized).

    He's been a ward of the state before and he says he never, never, ever wants to be a ward of the state again. He would rather be alone and hungry.

    I don't know if I can take him in. I live in Georgia, and he lives in Michigan and wants to go to college there. PLease, please, tell me how I can help??? I ove him so much and I just want him to be ok

  • #2
    Re: Urgent, please help!!!!


    We are so glad you reached out. You must be very concerned; it is clear that you care for your boyfriend a great amount. It sounds like your boyfriend has been through a lot, and this time must be very difficult for him; you should be proud of how hard you are trying to help. You are clearly a very supportive person, and it is very resourceful as well as strong of you to reach out to us.

    It is so great that he has you as a support – having someone to listen and offer support is very valuable. It is also great to hear that he has these clubs to be involved with; we hope those are sources of support, at least to distract him if nothing more.

    We want to help you support your boyfriend as much as we can. It sounds like there are a number of things going on. Firstly, at the age of 16 it would be illegal for his mother to leave him alone with no food or to kick him out. While this may not help their relationship, we hope knowing this may help console you in knowing that she could not do such a thing without putting herself at risk for legal trouble. We are not trained in legal matters, however, and often times it is up to the Department of Child Services in their area what consequences parents face if they take such actions. But, still, it would be a risk on her part to neglect him in the ways you mentioned.

    We understand how you may want to have him come stay with you; you clearly want to help in any way possible. Again, we applaud your concern and loving heart. However, we want you to know that your parents could be charged with harboring a runaway youth if they find him there with you. Again, we are not trained in legal matters here at NRS, and as stated before, these situations are often times handled at the discretion of the local police. There is no guarantee that your parents would be charged or not, but it is a risk.

    Having said that, in case your boyfriend does find himself in a crisis and he needs a place to stay, he can find resources online by visiting Or, he could always call us. If he has a cell phone, he could save our number as a contact: 1-800-RUNAWAY (800-786-2929). We are here to help runaway youth, and of course friends/family of runaway youth, 24 hours/day, 7days/week. We can also research low-cost, or maybe even free, counseling resources in his area for him if he would like to speak with a mental health professional.

    We hope this information will be helpful to you and your boyfriend. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime here at NRS, and please do pass our number along to your boyfriend, as well. We are happy to listen and, if you or he need, offer resources as we are able.

    Stay Strong, and Good Luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp