Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my daughter ran away...

My daughter has been gone now for two and a half days, losing her is like losing the air I breathe. She wants to be with a boy that her dad and I do not approve of and have forbidden her to see or talk to. She kept sneaking around with him and sneaking the telephone to talk to him. The first time she took off, she actually got caught sneaking out with him. She hadn't come home because she realized that we were looking for her. The next two days were hell. She was seen at a park by one of her friends and we got her home safely. We had a pregnancy scare, boy I never thought I'd have to deal with that! But now, two months later, she's gone again. What do I do? She doesn't want to be here, of course she thinks she can be on the streets and have it made. I haven't gone to look for her this time, I don't have the strength or energy to continue fighting with her. I have two other children who are living this nightmare with me, what do I do? Everyday that I do nothing kills me, but I'm afraid that if I force her to come home she will just runaway again when things don't go her way. I decided to let her be out for awhile and she'll come home when she's ready... or will she?

Re: my daughter ran away...

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear that your daughter has run away again. It sounds like a lot has happened recently and from what you said you are worried she might run away again if you force her to go home. It also sounds like you care a great deal for your daughter. What all have you done so far this time? Have you filed a runaway report, or have you considered doing so?

Running away is generally not illegal, so unless she has done something else illegal, the police will generally just bring her back home. What do you think it will take for her to come home? Are there any resources we might be able to help you with once she does come back?

If you do decide to file a runaway report with the police this can generally done through the local police department non-emergency number. It can also be helpful to ask for a Juvenile Officer if possible. There are also several missing children’s hotlines that can help with youth who have runaway. Many offer a registration of youth, can help with poster/ photo distribution, and also offer referrals. Below are some toll-free numbers, should you decide to call.

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)
    1-800-THE-LOST
    (843-567

Operation Lookout
    1-800-782-7335

Polly Klaus Foundation
    1-800-587-4357

You ended your response with asking if she will come home or not. Do you think she will come home when she is ready? What will your reaction be once she is ready to come back? Will there be consequences? We hope that you find some of these questions and resources helpful. If there is anything else you can think of you need, or if you would like to further discuss the situation, you are welcome to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X