No announcement yet.

I think I'm starting to hate my family.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm starting to hate my family.

This could be a bit of a red, I'm sorry.

To start things off, I"m fifteen and a sophomore in high school. My grades are really good, as in all A's and B's and maybe the occasional 79. I have a large handful of friends and some I feel like venting out to. It should be noted that I think I might have a kind of depression of some sort. Different things can trigger it and when it is, I can find myself crying myself to sleep and telling myself I am a worthless waste of skin. And to be honest, I believe it often. It comes in waves I guess you can call it. They can last from two hours to even weeks. That isn't very important though. The reason I'm making this is because I think I might be starting to hate my family, or at least my dad.

My dad isn't the worst person I could ask for. He goes to work, makes money, keeps me sheltered and fed, and expects me to be greateful for in in which I am. But the reason I'm having issues it because of his atitude and behavior. He is quite possinly the biggest jackass I know. He blames everything on us, only seems to care about my stepmom, and belittles us for the smallest things. He also enjoys guilt tripping us. I don't know what more to say other than he probably hates us. He constantly complains about us whever the slightest thing goes wrong and expects us to know how to do everything. He never gives us a chance to talk and assumes we deliberately try to make his life hell. It wasn't bad when we were little but over the past few years it has gotten really bad. We went to counseling at one point but it didn't do much to help. My stepmom is the only person I feel comfortable talking about sensitive stuff with, usually because my dad either wouldn't care or would like I said belittle me for it.

I think I'm starting to hate him and am considering an option which is moving away to my lying and cheating mother in Oregon. There have been points where I was so depressed I seriously considered suicide as well.

TLDR, I have a jackass of a father who guilt trips me and makes me want to run away. What do I do?

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X