No announcement yet.

what can we do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what can we do?

    My bf and I are both 17 but his mother doesn't let us hang out. Im not bad or anything she just wants to be mean. He's not aloud to text or call me or any of his family members without her alouding him to do so. We've tried talking and everything but she wont listen because she thinks everyones against her and what makes things worse is that shes a cop so she can do what ever she want. He goes through a lot because of her and I just wanted to know if there was anyway he could leave without being forced to go back home because she wont let him get emancipated. Please give me some advice !

  • #2
    Re: what can we do?

    Hello there,

    Thank you for sharing on our online forum. It must be really frustrating not being able to see or speak with each other because of his mom.

    If he were to leave home without permission, his mom could report him as a runaway and the police would be authorized to return him home. If he's reported as a runaway it’s typically just a status offense; however, sometimes people helping runaways are at risk for charges such as harboring a runaway.* This might be something to explore if whoever*he would be*staying with is concerned.

    In some areas the police handle runaway cases for people age 17 a little differently. They may not actively search for him or they might just check if he's safe but not force him to return home. The way police handle runaway cases can vary from county to county and even among police districts. If you want to know for sure how the police in your area handle runaway cases at age 17, you or your boyfriend could call your police non-emergency line and ask them hypothetically how they handle such cases. If this is something you’re not comfortable with, especially with his mom working for the district, we can help by calling out to the police for you or by looking up the appropriate number for where you live. We would also be able to provide you with emancipation resources for your state if you want to speak with a legal expert more about that option.

    We thank you again for trying to find some help for your boyfriend. He's lucky that he has you looking out for him. We encourage you to call us if you or him would like to discuss your situation in more detail.

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp