Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to live with your 17 year old emancipated boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal to live with your 17 year old emancipated boyfriend?

Hi, I have been dating a 17 year old who is emancipated and has his own place. He has recently asked me to move in and I am 19. I just wanna be for sure that there are no laws that are against this. He will be 18 in 6 months, but we wanted a place together before that, in the state of Kentucky. I would really appreciate some feedback, thanks!

Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out. We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but once emancipated the person is a legal adult and has the rights and responsibilities of one, so if your boyfriend wants to live with you it shouldn’t be an issue. It is worth being said that if your boyfriend is not emancipated and still a minor then his parent/guardians have the right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed for your boyfriend and he is located in your residence then you do run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and situation to situation.

It may be worthwhile to reach out to some local legal aid groups for clarification. If you’d like, you can try reaching out to Kentucky Legal Aid group at 1-866-452-9243 for more specific information or legal advice. If you or your boyfriend would like to go over what’s going on in depth, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X