No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Relationship

    I am 16 years old and have a boyfriend that is 18 we have been together for a year and 6 months. My grandma that I live with is my legal guardian and does not let me see him barely at all because she does not like him. Him and I are planning on just becoming friends and seeing what happens when I'm able to do what I want and see him again but I dont wanna just let him go. I feel like leaving and not coming back because I wanna be independent. But I dont think i have any reason to be emancipated. I feel lost and depressed because I dont know when the next time I'm gonna be able to see him and we are both stressed. What should I do?

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us! It takes a brave person to share their story and ask for help. It sounds like you’re having difficulty living with your grandma because she does not allow you to be independent and see your boyfriend.
    You mentioned that you have thought about leaving. It is important to consider a few things if you leave. Your grandma has the right to file a runaway report because you are under 18. That means that the police will be obligated to return you to her. It is not a crime to run away, but it is a status offense, which means you’re not allowed to do it because of your age. If you have any more questions about this, calling your local police station’s non-emergency number could be helpful.
    It sounds like you’re not sure if you want to leave home. We also offer a conference call option here. So, you can call us and we can call out to your grandma and mediate a conversation between the two of you. This could be helpful in discussing ways to compromise on rules.
    It sounds like you’re feeling depressed about what is going on. You are not alone. If you want to talk to anyone, calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 can be helpful. They can help you talk through any kind of feelings you have.
    Thank you again for reaching out to NRS! You did the right thing by asking for help. If you need any other resources or support, please call us any time. We are 24/7 and confidential.
    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Im jamie bone from little rock arkansas... been stuck in parsons kansas for 3 weeks.... no way home.... I.d exspired abusive boyfriend... I have 3 pieces of identification please help me get home asap please im begging


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in an unfortunate situation and need help with transportation. We do offer a Home Free program which reunites qualifying young people 12-21 with their families. If you are between the ages of 12-21 we encourage you to give us a call to start the Home Free process. At this time Home Free is only available over the phone. When you call explain you’re interested in returning home and we’ll talk to you about your situation. Since you mentioned that you are fleeing an abusive relationship the National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233 might be better equipped to help you get to your destination safely. We say this because whatever services that we have we cannot guarantee your safety.
        Again, thank you for reaching out. If you are able to please give us a call so we can assist you better.
        Best wishes,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp