My mom will be mad if I told her that I meet a guy online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom will be mad if I told her that I meet a guy online

Hi I’m 24 years old and still live my parents in need of some help on this subject. Ok so I’m Like I said I live with my parents and I feel like my Mom isstricter with me then little brother and I do why and my mom doesn’t believe I’m responseable enough to go do things on my own like for ex. My mom kinda know and doesn’t know at the same time I’m meet someone online and are suppose to meet this Thursday in his home town which is only aabout an hour from where I live and if I tell her she going to get really upset with me and tell me that this is a bad idea but the only thing she doesn’t know this that me and him have been talking for about two months now and Idk if I should even tell her that I meeting up with him cause I feel like she might like disown me or tell me to get out of her house. And so I’ve already tried the I had a crush on someone and that didn’t go so well that guy took advantage and just used me and now I don’t talk to him anymore but anyhow I wanted to try the online dating and the first time I tried it my mom got super angry with and told me it’s not a good idea to be doing this and telling me not to go and see that guy. But this guy like I said we’ve been talking too for two months and are ready to meet each other so it’s like I don’t know what to do know and I don’t know what to tell her cause I really don’t want to tell her what I’m doing or where I’ll be going she’s all way asking me where I’m going I feel like I don’t have any freedom I feel like I have to be in my house 24/7 but I also don’t want my mom to be mad at me for doing this so I don’t know what to do.

Hello there –

Thank you so much for reaching out to use here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well.

Talking to your parent can be a pretty different thing to do and it sounds like you have difficulties connecting with your mother to begin with. While your concern is validated, it might make things worse in the long run if you are going behind your mother’s back to meet with someone that you met over the internet. You have stated that she doesn’t trust you and/or think you’re responsible and this might just be proving her point. Though you are an adult and are able to make your own choices, it does sound like she is worried about you and wants you to be safe. Especially since you have stated men using you (ie. Your past crush). It might be a good idea to start off with little things that help your mother see that you are able to be trusted and/or more responsible in your own life. Taking on more duties and task when asked, start saving to move out eventually, or even having a family counseling session to openly talk about how you feel vs how your mother feels.

At the end of the day, you are going to be making your own decision and going to have to be okay with the outcome of that. It’s certainly not going to change overnight how you and your mother communicate with one another and unfortunately it might come down to you putting in a lot of the work to be able to improve that.

We certainly want to help you. If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X