I'm 17 and planning on running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and planning on running away

Me and my best friend (who I consider my sister right now) decided that we're going to run away and go to find my girlfriend who lives in a different city. She has a really bad life at home and her parents won't even care if she leaves. My girlfriend has an even worse life at home with abusive family members and abusive friends and she's beaten and raped a lot. So me and my friend are going to help her. She has one year of school left then her family said she can do whatever she wants so when that happens we're all going to live together. By that time I'll be 18. I'll be 18 in only a few months but I don't want to wait that long before I go to find her. I need to find her now, I just need to. I hate being at home. I hate my life. The only thing I can do to make me actually happy is to go find her so that's what I'm going to do. I just want to know if you have any advice and how to stay safe and where I could find places to sleep and shower and get food. Please respond quickly as I will be leaving in just a few weeks.

re: I'm 17 and planning on running away

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and asking your questions here. It sounds like you and your friends are going through so much right now. It’s not easy to be a support for people who are going through such difficult things. It makes a lot of sense why you want to go find her and support her. It sounds like you’re planning on leaving so that you can be happy and care for a person who has given you such great support in return. It’s great that you’re reaching out and getting some guidance. So let’s see how we can help you out.

When thinking about leaving home, it can be important to be as safe as possible. So it’s good that you’re asking these questions. Telling someone you trust where you are going to be and being in contact with that person is an important way to stay safe if you decide to leave. There are places in the country where you can stay as a minor – the main thing about those shelters is that they would contact your legal guardians to let them know that you are there. If it comes down to do it and you need a safe place, you can check out www.nationalsafeplace.org and call the closest one to you.

If staying at a shelter isn’t a place where you can stay, then looking to see if there are any 24 hour restaurants where you might be able to stay for the night. Sometimes churches offer services where you can stay, but there is no guarantee (calling ahead of time might be a good next step for you). It can be important to bring with you identification (like birth certificate and driver’s license) because if you turn 18, those documents will be useful when you are applying for jobs or applying for an apartment. Bringing a phone with you can be a good way to access resources and can be a way to call people if you get into trouble. Getting food is difficult if you don’t stay at a shelter. If there is a way for you to save up money, that can be a good way to deal with the problem of food.

Now, all these things are meant to keep you as a safe as possible. Making sure that you have a plan b for food and shelter is important. So spending some time thinking through the question on your own and developing a list of supports that you have might be a good next step.

We hope that this is a helpful start for you. If you’d like to talk more about all of this, please call or chat with us. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X