Can i run off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i run off?

I have been mistreated by my parents for a long time. My boyfriend has seen and witnessed these events many times and has offered to help me rent a small apartment. I am 16, and he is 17, we both live in Oregon. Is this legal?

Hello, thanks for posting to our forum! It sounds like your living situation is really tough right now. We are glad you reached out for help!
    We are not legal experts but as far as we understand it while you are a minor (under 18 in Oregon) leaving home without your parents’ permission can result in you being filed as a runaway. Running away is not a crime but your parents can let the police know you left and the police can come look for you and return you home. Also, any adult (18 or older) you do stay with could be charged with a crime, so that is something to keep in mind too. As a minor, leaving home is can be done three ways: with parents’ permission, through CPS if safety is an issue, or through emancipation. You did mention being mistreated. Child Help (1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org) can help you better define what is considered abuse, and how to get custody transferred to a safe adult. Keep in mind also, you must be 18 to sign a lease on an apartment so neither you nor your boyfriend could do that at this time.
    We are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 if you want to discuss more options or need more resources for abuse r reporting, shelters to stay in or other helpful resources. We are here to help you and are available 24/7 by phone and 4:30-11:30pm daily on our live chat via our website. Thanks for reaching out today. That shows a lot of strength in you! We are here to help!
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 02-06-2018, 05:40 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X