No announcement yet.


  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help.

    my boyfriend is 17 and has problems at home with his mother. we’re both depressed, etc, but. i genuinely care about him and he’s thinking about running away right now. i offered for him to stay with me, and im certain my parents wouldnt mind. yet right now, he doesnt have anywhere to go and doesnt want me to witness him in this state. he says he cant stand staying in that house anymore. if he runs away, and stays with me, is there anything his mother can do? can he stay in my parents home? ny state. i need him to be okay and im willing to do anything for that

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). I’m sorry to hear that your boyfriend is struggling right now. He’s lucky to have you to look out for him.

    We are not legal experts at NRS but we can tell you that in most states the legal age of adulthood is 18. If your boyfriend leaves home it is not technically illegal however if his mother decides to file a runaway report, there’s a chance that if the police find him they would take him back home. If he is getting close to turning 18, it’s possible that the police in your area wouldn’t take any action at all on the runaway report. Police responses to runaway situations for kids that are over 17 vary from place to place. You might want to contact your local police department to see how they handle runaway reports for minors who are close to 18. If your boyfriend’s mother agrees to let him come to stay with you and your parents the police wouldn’t be involved at all.

    You mentioned that your boyfriend is depressed and may be isolating himself from you. When people feel overwhelmed they can start to feel hopeless and then it becomes really difficult to come up with solutions to their problems. It sounds like that is where your boyfriend might be right now. This is concerning because leaving home for the first time requires a lot of planning. Being out on the streets you when you aren’t sure where you are going to stay and how you are going to afford living expenses can be scary. If your boyfriend is open to getting some help, there’s an organization called SAMHSA that helps people deal with depression and other mental health-related issues. Their number is 877-726-4727. You mentioned that you are also dealing with some depression so this may be a good resource for you as well.

    We take calls 24 a day/7 days a week and would be happy to talk to you in more detail about your situation and determine how else we might help you out.

    Take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove