No announcement yet.

Girlfriend seeking help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Girlfriend seeking help

    Hello, my names Clair and i've been in a relationship with a girl in the UK, but i live in the US
    im 16 and she's 15 turning 16 this year
    She comes from a very neglecting home where sometimes she's even forced from her bed and required to sleep on the floor without a blanket. i come from a better, supportive family and me & her would like to have her live with me instead of her family. she's lived with these awful people her whole life and when i found her she had been trying to attempt suicide. we've had a very positive influence on each other's lives to the point i'm able to help her mental illnesses and depression. but she's hit a new low with her family recently and she's been seeking my help to live with me. but im a little confused with all of the things that we would need to do in order to make this a reality. she has enough for a plane ticket to the US. But after looking at a few threads of this forum i've seen that her parents could charge my parents. could i have some information about the process of becoming a runaway (especially to a different country) and what i can do to make this journey smoother for her?

  • #2
    Hi, thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like your girlfriend’s home life is pretty tough and that she is going through a lot. You seem like you care a lot about her and want to be able to continue to support her.

    You mention wondering what it would look like for her to come and live with you. We are based in the US so it is hard to say how things would work in the UK, but Childline is an organization in the UK that would be able to give you some more specific information for how things work in her country. She can call them at 0800 1111, or visit their website,

    As you mention, there may be the potential for her parents to charge yours with harboring a runaway (that's a charge we've heard of in the USA), if they wanted to press charges for allowing her to stay with you. Running away may be difficult across countries (passports are needed and customs may not let a minor travel alone), you may help her find resources in her area that makes her living situation better. First off, her mental health is most important. If she ever is feeling suicidal or feels like hurting herself, she can reach out to Childline or another suicide hotline in the UK to give her support in that moment. You may suggest she find someone she feels comfortable talking to about her family difficulties and her emotions. Sometimes this is a teacher, school counselor, or therapist for people. These resources may also be able to make sure she is safe at home, or help her be in a place that is not neglectful.

    It sounds like you want to do the most you can for your girlfriend and we appreciate you reaching out. Please call or chat us if you have any other questions or want to talk to someone about how you are feeling.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp