No announcement yet.

17 and engaged wanting to leave at 18

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and engaged wanting to leave at 18

I am 17 and engaged my fiancée is 17 turning 18 in September. We are wanting to leave home at 18 to leave on our own and raise a family. We tried to have a kid but sadly she miscarriaged and we lost our baby 2 months into her pregnancy. We thought if we have a kid she would have to live with me or I'd have to live with her. I'm not sure what to do or if I can even rent a house when I turn 18. Can y'all please help me I am badly needing help.

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. We're so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. That sounds like a traumatic situation and we hope you are both healing after it. It sounds like you've got a lot of questions and need some advice and we hope we can give you that.

You cannot move in together even if you both have a child together. In most states the age of majority is 18, so you cannot leave home without your parents' permission even if you have a child. Having a child is a really big responsibility, so if you both consider trying for a child again just remember that it does not mean that you will be able to live together. If you are planning on a child it's also a good idea to think about things like how you would afford baby food, diapers, a crib, and things along those lines. If you cannot afford it now, that's okay, you can always make long term plans together or create a savings account in order to have a child when you're more stable!

Once you both turn 18 in most states you would be considered legal adults so you would be able to live together. At 18 you can rent a house, but if you're concerned about finances and if you would be able to afford one something you can do is get a job and save up money until you both decide to leave! If you call into our hotline we can help you look for some shelter resources, too, if that's something you would feel comfortable with.

If you need any resources or just want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X