No announcement yet.

Need to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to leave

    so im not gonna use real names but im brianna im 15 and my boyfriend joe is 21. i know what most people say he's only using you because your young. its not like that. im in Fl and he is in California. He has told me he bought plane tickets to come see me. When he comes down here i want to leave with him. I have depression due to emotional abuse by my mother. I love my dad and his family but shes made it clear living with him isnt an option. I want to run away and live with Joe somewhere theyll never find me. I dont have a phone so i cant call. What are my options?

  • #2
    Hello Brianna,
    Thank you for contacting us. We understand that it might be hard trying to decide what you want to do and what decisions you need to make, and we’re here to help you make the best decision you can.
    We are not legal experts at NRS, but we do encounter many similar situations and can speak in general terms. Generally, what could happen if you leave is your parents can file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime, but if the police were notified, the person you’re living with can be charged with harboring a runaway. Secondly, if your boyfriend is 21, he can be charged with kidnapping a minor as well as violating the respective state’s age of consent.
    If living with your mother is not an option, it could be possible to contact your local law enforcement, as well as child protective services, and inform them of the verbal abuse you are receiving. It could be possible for your father to obtain legal custody of you. If your depression is a growing concern, it could be useful to speak to your school’s councilor, or other school staff, to be put into contact with a place that could help you. If you would like, you can email us again with information regarding where you live, and we can try to find resources that could help you in your area.
    We hope that this email is helpful, feel free to contact us again. If you ever gain access to a phone, you can call us at 1 800 RUNAWAY (1 800 786 2929) and we will help you with the situation you’re dealing with. We hope that you make the decision that is best for you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp