No announcement yet.

My Friend (it's complicated)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Friend (it's complicated)

My friend is moving to Florida. She is also a cutter/used to be. I am concerned for her. But I am feeling like running away from home, and wish I could make sure she is safe. I've serioudly considered running away before, and this isn't the only reason I want to leave... Help?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. You’re right – it sounds like your situation is pretty complicated right now, but we’ll do our best to provide some insights and ideas to help you make the best decisions possible. Also, know that you can always talk to somebody on the phone about these issues by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

First, we’re sorry to hear that your friend is moving away and that she’s struggled with self-harm in the past. It sounds like you’re being a really caring and compassionate friend; she’s very lucky to have you. We understand that it might be uncomfortable to talk to your friend about her self-harm, but you might be able to at least provide her the number for the National Suicide Hotline. They can be reached at 1-800-273-8255 and they have staff who are trained to help people work through some very difficult emotions and experiences. They might be a great resource for your friend.

Running away is a really big step, so it’s great that you’re looking for more information. If you’re concerned about providing support for your friend while you run away, you may want to let your friend know what you’re planning before you go. If you both have cell phones you might be able to stay in touch. If you know where you’ll be going while you’re away from home, you might also want to let your friend know where you’ll be staying. That way you can keep in touch and provide support to one another.

We’d love to talk to you in more detail about how you can stay in touch with your friend and think through running away. Again, you can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck!

Best wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I'm 14, I am together with a boy that I "think" I'm madly in love with. He is everything I want, only he's leaving. I want so badly to go with him, but what will happen to my family? What will happen to my mom. Will she get arrested for me not going to school? I mean it's not like I'm staying home and having fun, I'll be out and becoming my own person.

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thanks for posting on our forum. It sounds like you are planning on leaving with the boy you are in love with and are wondering what will happen to your family. Please know we are not here to judge you or tell you which decision to make. We do care about your safety and can go over pros and cons of leaving and any other options you are considering at this time. It sounds like you’re concerned with your mom getting arrested for you not going to school. We are not legal experts; however, sometimes parents do end up in truancy court when their children do not attend school. This may be more likely to result in a fine rather than an arrest/jail time. We hope this helps and we hope things work out for you. Please feel free to reach out to us through our Live Chat when it’s available to continue discussing your situation. Good luck!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X