Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronically Ill and abused emotionally all my life for it

I'm legal, live in Florida, and should be in college right now but I have had Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis since I've been 8 years old and it has affected my life significantly. I had to drop out of highschool because my health got too bad for me to continue to go to public school, but I also wasn't allowed to do home school or online classes (so I just wasn't able to finish highschool) and my mom just stopped taking me to the doctor for a couple years until I finally left to live with my great aunt, great grandma, and grandma from my mom's side of the family in Texas. I struggled too much there and had horrible arthritis flare ups so I had to move back to Florida with my grandparents from my dad's side of the family. They're emotionally abusive and neglectful. I'm trying to get my ged, but with the arthritis and severe chronic pain I'm always in I have no clue how I'm going to be able to live on my own but I wish that I was healthy enough to just leave and support myself

Hi,

Thanks so much for writing into NRS about what is going on. We want you to know we care about you are we are here to help as best as we can. It sounds like you're going through a lot right now, and the way you're being treated definitely is not fair. You do not deserve to be abused in any way, shape, or form. It sounds like your chronic disability has been something like a barrier since you're being neglected by family when it comes to it, but it seems like you're really just trying your hardest to make things right for yourself, which we really admire. Your illness is serous and should be taken seriously by all of your family members.

In addition to moving out to stay in a safe place, it appears that continuing education and improved health are also important to you. At NRS, we are available to help identify unmet needs and to elicit options. The arthritis and chronic pain that you described sounds debilitating and is affecting you, so identifying a new health program and/or counseling resource may interest you. We aren't experts when it comes to those kinds of things, so we recommend either calling out to your local police department to see what they can do to help you when it comes to your neglect and calling out to a local health provider about getting the help you need when it comes to your health.

Again, we would love to hear more about these and any other issues which are important to you. Please don't hesitate to call out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 and one of our liners would be more than happy to talk to you and see what else we can do to help you.

We wish you the best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X