Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no choice but to run away or kill myself

I'm 17 years old, I have just found out I'm most likely not going to graduate highschool , my mom has put so much stress on me that people are expectingredients me to graduate, and I've told her numerous times ito seems unlikely and shes dissapointed in me, if Its for sure that I'm not graduating I want to run away to my boyfriends moms place , I live in Florida. And she lives in Nevada, and if I can't run away I don't want to be more of a failure than I am already , my aunts and uncles call me a slack off my mom is trying her best to keep this facade that I'm a smart a+ student and I really can't take it , it's like I have nothing going for me at this point , if I run away will I be sent back home or have consequences?

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sorry to hear that you are going through all of this and you feel as though your only options are running away or suicide. We are here to tell you that your grades in school do not determine your self-worth. You are so much more than that, and you so deserve to make it through this difficult time.

You mentioned feeling like there is nothing left for you, and while your feelings are valid we want you to know that you have some options. Once you are 18, you can take GED classes to finish up classes if you don’t graduate this year and do not want to go back next year. There also might be online class options depending on your school.

If you haven’t already, you might try to have that hard conversation with your mom about how her pressuring you about school is making you feel suicidal. While it might be incredibly difficult, she should care about your well-being way more than your grades and how your aunts and uncles view you. Another thing you can do is reach out to a therapist or counselor if you would like some professional help with what you are going through. You might check out the mental health resources near you at www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov. If you feel like you are in immediate danger you can always call 911, they would take you to the hospital. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or the Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 if you would need to talk to someone. You so deserve to be supported during this difficult time.

You mentioned that you wanted to run away to your boyfriend’s mom’s in Nevada. Here at NRS, our main concern is your safety. So you might really want to plan out how you are going to travel that far before you leave, if you do decide to run. One thing to keep in mind is that once you turn 18, you can legally leave home without parental permission (you do not have to finish high school for this). So if you are turning 18 soon, you might try to plan for leaving then so you would not be considered a runaway. If you do leave before you are 18 and your mom files a runaway report with the police, you would be returned home if you are found. We are not legal experts, but running away is usually considered a status offense so it is just something you can’t do due to your age. If you are found in Nevada at your boyfriend’s mom’s house by police, your mom could have the ability to press “harboring a runaway” charges against your boyfriend’s mom. So she is the one that could get into legal trouble.

Please do not hesitate to get into contact with us via phone or live chat if you would like to talk more. We have liners who really care about you standing by ready and willing to help.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X