Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Parents Will Not Let Me Visit My Boyfriend (18 years old)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Parents Will Not Let Me Visit My Boyfriend (18 years old)

I am currently 18 and my boyfriend is 19, and we have been dating for about a year. In that time, we've been long distance (over 800 miles) for a little over 4 months and I've only seen him for a day since then. I'm dying to see him, and have been considering visiting him for a weekend in the summer. The problem is, I do not move out until late August and come from a heavily religious family, they won't let me see him because it's not proper and inappropriate. I have been pleasing them my entire life, working for a full ride scholarship to university, going to church every Sunday, and just being extremely well behaved overall. Because of this parent-pleasing mentality I've developed, I'm nervous to "runaway" and visit my boyfriend and face them when I return. I have tried sharing my feelings, but they don't care for it. It will be my boyfriend and my own money paying for my visit, I'm just extremely nervous to disappoint them with this. I was just hoping anyone who has a similar family situation or any advice could help me out by sharing their opinion, thank you.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear you’ve been facing difficulties at home with you parents. It sounds like you’ve tried your best to respect them and take care of your responsibilities the best you can. Congratulations on getting into college and working on getting a full scholarship. It sounds like you are ambitious and have a strong work ethic.

If you do decide to visit your boyfriend, somethings to consider are how this might affect your relationship with your parents in the long run. It sounds like you respect them a great deal and might be conflicted about how they will react when they find out. Maybe there is another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to them. Another thing to consider is your safety. If you do leave and decide not to tell your parents, you may want to consider letting a few people know where you are and when you’ll be coming back at all times.

You can reach out to us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us from 4:30 PM -11:30 PM CST and we would be happy to support you through this.

Take care,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod14; 03-18-2017, 07:53 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X