Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to get married but parents wont let me marry until 21

Me and My boyfriend have been dating for a couple months now and he is about 2 hours from me , we are both 17 and i am a couple months from being 18 , me and him have talked about getting married , and we both have agreed that we want to start our life together and start a family together and we are in so in love and its a perfect fairy tale, but there is a huge problem my parents wont let me marry until i am 21 and me and him talked about moving in together but my parents said if i move out they wont pay for college . what do i d0?

Re: wanting to get married but parents wont let me marry until 21

Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a really tough spot right now and looking for some support. You mentioned that you are currently dating someone and you two would like to get married but your parents are not supporting this until you turn 21. It’s wonderful to hear that you have found the person you would like to spend the rest of your life with and it’s understandable you may be upset by your parents not supporting this. It also sounds like it’s difficult because your boyfriend is several hours away.

In most states the age of majority, when a youth is considered an adult and can make decisions without parent/guardian permission, is 18. So it is very likely that you could get married without your parents’ permission once you turn 18. It sounds like one of the other issues though is if you do that your parents may not support you with things such as paying for college. Certainly this is a factor that you may want to take into consideration. Have you and your boyfriend tried to sit down and have a conversation with your parents about why you want to get married? Perhaps if you were to sit down and have a serious discussion about your plans and how you plan to make a life together they may be more willing to listen. It sounds like you and your boyfriend are very committed to each other. Would waiting a few years to get married be an option?

We are sorry to hear you are going through this. It sounds like you are really torn about how to proceed but it’s good that you are trying to think clearly about what options are best for you. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can always contact us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat that is open from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to listen. Take care and feel free to reach out to us anytime.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X