Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Runaway

My girlfriend left her parents home to live with me and my family when she was 17. Over time she stopped speaking to her family because of trust issues. Over the almost 4 years of our relationship, we began to crumble. Intimacy was lost, and her aspirations for the future slowly started to diminish. She hardly ever found work and it probably only amounted to a total of 4 months in all that time. Regrettably I paid more attention to some other girls we knew, as a way to fill that void. Cheating almost became a reality, but I would stop it.

In the last 2 months, the stagnation got to a point where my families' expectations of her were running me aground. We moved out and have been staying at a friends house, but our relationship continued to die.

She finally had enough and walked out. With nothing. A packback with a few toiletries and clothes, no money, no job, and no friends to stay with. Even though there are people who would take her in, she feels betrayed by them and won't. I'm scared for her. I always have been. It's the reason our relationship lasted as long as it did; I was afraid of what might happen to her. I wanted her to change or become self sufficient in her time with me. If the love rekindled, wonderful, if not I wanted her to be independant. She's neither, and now she's gone.

Re: Adult Runaway

Thank you for reaching out and telling us a bit about your situation. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time right now and trying to find some assistance. You mentioned that your former girlfriend has recently left and it sounds like you are really concerned for her safety. It sounds like you really care about your girlfriend and you have tried to make the relationship work but it is just not happening. The concern now sounds like she has taken off and may just be on the streets and doesn’t necessarily have any support. Have you been in contact with her at all since she has left?

We are sorry to hear you are dealing with this tough situation and hope you have some people that are supporting you through this. Keep in mind that there is always someone here if you would like to discuss your situation more in depth. You can reach out to us through our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat that is available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. There is always someone available to provide support, discuss options, and even find helpful resources in the area. If you are in contact with her you can also pass our hotline number along if she may need some support or resources. There is always someone here to listen. Take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

She came back for half an hour. Collected some of her things and said she'd go to her mom's. Despite our relationship being as long as it was, I hardly knew her. She offhandedly spoke about her mom emotionally and physically abusing her, and the final blow to the floodgates was against me and talking seriously to another girl. Our relationship had been on the decline for 3 of the 4 years we were together. After the outburst she told me she took a bunch of pills, including sleeping pills. I had to call the cops. They took her off to the hospital, but I'm sure the minute she gets the chance, she'll leave to the streets again.

I had tried to give her the hotline number, but she ripped it up.

Putting this online, really isn't something I'm doing for myself. I've spoken to your operators and they're wonderful people. I just hope anyone out there who's contemplating it, would stumble upon this and know how the other half feels.

Comment

Re: Adult Runaway

We appreciate you sharing your story through our bulletin boards. While it may not change things sometimes it helps to know there are others out through going through something similar. It’s hard to watch a person you care about, whether you are in a relationship with them or not, behave in a way that is destructive or unsafe. It sounds like you have offered support and continue to be supportive. Hopefully one day she will reach out for that support and start being able to help herself. We are glad to hear you have called and used us as a resource and encourage you to do so again if there is anything else you need.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X