• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    replied
    re: Someone I Know

Hi

Thank s for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear. It sounds pretty scary to not know what happened to a friend. You mentioned that no one who knows what happened to her will say anything. Are you referring to her family? There are two main ways that you can try to determine if a minor ran away. You can contact your local police department non emergency hotline and provide your friend’s name and date of birth to find out if a report has been found. You can also contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) by dialing 1-800-843-5678. You can also access the NCMEC’s online national database to see if you can locate your friend on there.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, anonymous, confidential, and available 24/7.

We hope the information provided helps. We also hope your friend is safe and that you are able to find out what happened to her soon.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Someone I Know

Someone I know has been thinking about running away for a while. They always asked me to go with them, but I didn't want to. One day she disappeared and I haven't seen her since. Almost no one knows what happened to her and the people that do won't tell. I really need to know if she did run away, but I can't figure out how I can get an answer. What should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    She doesnt trust the school couselors. Because she knows that if she goes to them about what she is going through and the age of the person she is dating. the school will start investigating and all that. You can never trust the school. NEVER. Her only hope is the advice she can get from me.
    We're sorry that you feel you cannot trust your school. Fortunately for both of you we are completely confidential, non-judgmental, and we would never tell anyone what to do so please give us a call at our 24 hour hotline 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you can live chat with us any day from 4:30-11:30pm central time.

Best of luck,
    NRS Supervisor

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    My friend

She doesnt trust the school couselors. Because she knows that if she goes to them about what she is going through and the age of the person she is dating. the school will start investigating and all that. You can never trust the school. NEVER. Her only hope is the advice she can get from me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    replied
    RE: my friend

Hello again,

We are sorry to hear that your friend is going through this. Although school can be important, it is also important to feel heard and understood. Has she tried talking to a school counselor about how she is feeling? We are glad she has a friend like you who is looking out for her. If she would like to call us, we can offer many other resources and help her explore what options she has available. Please have her call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from her and wish you both the best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    My friend

Her parents do not approve at all. They want her to focus in school, but honestly if you're in love. You cannot focus in school knowning that you cant see or talk or nothing with the person who makes you happy.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    replied
    RE: My friend

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are very concerned about your friend and how she feels trapped between her boyfriend and her parents. We are glad to hear that you are not going to abandon her, it can be good to have a friend to lean on in difficult times. Although you did not say how old your friend is, as long as she is under 18 her legal guardians do have the right to report her missing if she runs away. Sometimes it can be helpful to come up with different ways both parties can compromise. Would her parents allow her to see him under certain circumstances?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline we are a non-directive crisis line. This means that although we do not tell you what you should or should not do, we can help you explore options and offer any resources that may be of use to you and your friend. If you would like, you are welcome to call us at any time at 1-800-RUNWAY or contact us by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    my friend

She is deeply in love with him. In your opinion would it be best if she got out of that relationship as soon as possible? It hurts because she has to sacrafice her happiness just to make her parents happy. She has gotten caught with him once and her parents threatened to call the police if they see them together. Shes a good friend of mine.and I am not going to abandoned her. Or make her feel alone.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    My Friend

Hello,

Thank you for posting on out bulletin board at www.1800Runaway.org
    Your friend is fortunate to have such a caring person on her side.
    It’s a great thing you are doing as her friend trying to get information on her behalf.

Running away is a status offense for a minor and usually does not remain on their permanent record.
    However the law as it pertains to aiding or harboring a runaway are such that they may be a punishable offense by law. We are not legal experts so we cannot tell you how serious or what the consequences could be if she were to runaway with someone who is considered an adult.
    You may be able to get more exact information from your local law enforcement by calling the non-emergency number and asking about the laws concerning runaway youth.

You might also consider the option of giving her our 24hr toll free crisis line number 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to speak to one of our liners about her situation.

This must feel like quite a difficult position for you to be in.
    Is there anyone you can go to and speak about how this predicament has made you feel?
    Hopefully your friend knows just how good a friend she has in you.
    Providing a listening ear can be quite important when lending support to someone.

We hope your friend will consider all the possible options while trying to make this important decision.
    We wish you the best in your efforts to help her look at her situation to the fullest.
    Thank you again for posting on our NRS bulletin board.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic My friend

My friend

My friend told me.she wants to runaway with her boyfriend. She is 16 and he is 21. I have gave her alot of advice to not runaway because she is to young , and they both can get into alot of trouble. Out of curiousity how serious are the charges if she gets caught with him leaving? I want to give my friend more advice and let her know how serious this situation can get.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X