No announcement yet.

im 14 and wanna live with my boyfriend

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • im 14 and wanna live with my boyfriend

    i wanna live with my boyfriend but my parents mith call the law can i stay with him or would i have to go back to my parents

  • #2
    re: im 14 and wanna live with my boyfriend

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you want to leave home to live with your boyfriend but are concerned about what might happen. You seem to be trying to plan ahead and considering your options before you go which seems very thoughtful of you. While we aren’t legal experts, we can answer your question in a general way. In most places, your legal guardian has rights and responsibilities of you until you turn the age of majority (in many places 1. If you were to leave without parental permission and they were to file a runaway report, you would be committing what is called a status offense and be returned to your parents if you were picked up by the police.

    One option you have to verify laws in your area would be to contact your local police department through the non-emergency line. Additionally, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day and we can talk more about your situation confidentially and anonymously and connect you to additional resources. Otherwise, we are available via live chat from 4:30-11:30pm CST to assist you at We hope that you will consider calling us to further discuss your situation.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I wanna go live with my boyfriend at 14 and he's 16...should I do it?


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are not sure if you want to go to your boyfriend’s house or not. We are not going to tell you that you should or should not runaway. We are here to try to provide you with support and resources so that if you do decide to leave home, you are doing it intelligently and safely. Therefore, if running away is something that you really want to do then you are more than welcome to give us a call and we can talk about all of your options and help you come up with a safety plan.
        If you would like to give us, a call and we can further discuss your options you are more than welcome to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929 we want you to know that you are not alone. There are people that care and want to help you.
        Best wishes,

    • #4
      I'm 14 and my boyfriend is 16 he'd getting his own place in 2 months and we both want me to live with him but will I be allowed to? Or am I underage to technically move out?


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting us here at National Runaway Safeline.

        The answer on whether you are old enough to live on your own or not depends on what state you live in. Every state has a different age of consent and age of minority. The age of consent means a person cannot legally agree to have any type of sexual act with a person who is legally the age of an adult (age of minority). Age of minority means when someone is no longer considered a minor and therefore you are a legal adult. A good website to look at to see what the legal age of consent or age of minority is Sex in the ( If according to the laws in your state, if you are not the legal age of an adult then you cannot live with your boyfriend. If you chose to run away or leave your home without guardian permission, then go live with your boyfriend. Your guardian may possibly report you missing or if you come in contact with any police, then by law the police have to return you to your guardian’s house. You will not be charged with a crime or breaking any law for running away. But it is against the law for a person to assist, take care of, or house a runaway; your boyfriend could possibly get charged with the crime of harboring a runaway.

        If you have any questions or want to discuss this further, you can contact us here at National Runaway Safeline 24/7/ 365 at 1-800-786-2929.


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove