• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod10
    replied
    RE: Leaving home legally (1

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us during this time of transition. It sounds like you have some major changes coming up. Are you planning on dropping out of high school or finishing early? Although we are not legal experts, we can try and explain what we know about the runaway laws. Technically, it’s not against the law to run away. In most places it's considered a status offence. However, anyone that you’re caught staying with could be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’ if you are still a minor.

Once you turn 18, in most places you are considered legally an adult. It sounds like you have plans for after school, we are glad to hear you want to leave on good terms with your family. It be difficult to make big changes that affect everyone.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we do not give advice or tell you what you should or shouldn’t do. We can offer moral support, help you explore options and offer any resources that may of use to you. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

-NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic Leaving home legally (18)

Leaving home legally (18)

I turn 18 in September.(today is 4/4)... a little over five months away.. I plan on living in California in my future and have always seen myself moving there. My boyfriends family is there so I'll be moving in with him to finish senior year and then go to college/marines reserves(biggest base is in Cali) I feel this is a good decision in the long run but my mom doesn't want me to leave before I finish high school (what mother would want to say goodbye early) I want to leave on good terms with my family and I will be visiting often I just don't know how to do this.. do I leave at 18 on my own with their acceptance only because they can't do anything about it or do I convince them to trust I will be responsible

p.s.- My mother's excuse for not accepting this idea was that I'd be more mature after I graduate.. I am a volunteer firefighter, a lifeguard and I am joining the Marine Corps! Also going to college for criminology. What more does she need?!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X