Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend is being abused.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend is 15 and is living with her mom and her abusive, mentally controlling dad. He has been a threat to her wellbeing for a long time (her whole life) but now he recently hit her again. Her mom is very sweet and kind to her when they are alone or just without her dad but she stood by as her dad hit her. She constantly says she hates her dad and wants to end her life because of it. Im so scared for her i know she is in so much pain and im worried she is going to just snap. I dont know how to help her, please help.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear that your girlfriend’s father is abusive and controlling. Abuse is never okay and she doesn’t deserve to be treated that way. She does have the option of reporting the abuse from her father. She could talk to someone that she trusts such as a school teacher or counselor and they could report the abuse for her. Child Help is also a great resource to report abuse and obtain information about possibly transferring custody from her parents to another family member. Please be safe and if you would like to call us directly for more information or resources when your mother isn’t around, our crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) is 24 hours. We are always here to listen and help in the best way that we can. You mentioned that your girlfriend has mentioned that she wants to end her life. It seems like you really care about your girlfriend, you can try talking to her and letting her know that her life is worth living and the abuse is not her fault. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a great resource that she could call to discuss her feelings of ending her life. You could also give her our contact information so that she can contact us directly, our crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) is 24 hours so there is always someone here to listen and help. We wish you both the best !

I'm not sure if I'm being abused. But sometimes it feels like I have no where else to turn.
    So, my mom and dad divorced in 2011. I live at my mom's house. She is strict, and I find her yelling a lot more lately. It is kind of our fault (I think) for not being perfect kids. And when she yells, I cry like a normal kid would. But I have thoughts in my head like, "Wow you're so worthless" and "She's going to yell at you some more". Right? And recently I got in trouble for lying. Somebody asked me why I lied and I said, "Because I want to impress my mom", and all things like that. But here's the thing, my mom still hugs us and says our I love you's, and sometimes we'll have fun time. But after school everyday now I am in total constant fear that I'm going to get yelled at, or disiplined for doing something wrong .

And then there's my dad's house. He is a Christian, and a non-supporter of LGBTQ+ and/or some diversity. Me and my brother are LGBTQ+ members. He's transgender and I'm pansexual! My dad hates it all. He manipulates us. Like if we don't want to go to his house, he'll say, "Yeah but you know that'll hurt my feelings, right?" And it hurts to break my dad's heart. My brother recently came out to my dad as transgender, and he did not take it well. He said, "I won't call you by your preferred pronouns, name, blah blah blah." But what really hit me is when he said, "What is going to happen to your little sister?!" I slunk back in my room and cried

Thanks for listening and have any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It defiantly sounds like you are having a hard time at both your mother and your father’s house but we cannot define abuse to you. One resource that might help you define it more is https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/ if you feel like this is something that you would like to address you can give them a call and they can help you make a report. You do not deserve to be treated the way that you are be either of your parents. They should love and respect you for who you are.
      It must be really stressful to be in constant fear that you are going to be yelled at or ridiculed for being who you are. You mentioned that your father is not accepting of your sibling’s gender identity and your sexual identity. We want you to know that there is tons of support out there for you and want to invite both of you to give the Trans Lifeline 877-565-8860 and the LGBT National Hotline 888-843-4564 a call to talk about what the both of you are experiencing. We want to thank you for being brave enough to share your story with us and to have dealt with all of this for as long as you have.
      Thank you again for emailing us. We want to keep you safe. It is really brave of you to ask for help. You do not deserve being hit like you are. You can call us any time of day or night at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a chat service on our website open in the afternoons and evenings (click on the “chat” button at the top of 1800runaway.org when it is available).
      Stay safe and let us know if we can help in any way!

I know someone that’s being abused by their mom. She said that this isn’t the first time and that when she called the police they didn’t do anything. Her mom is mentally unstable. She said that she has bruises and that she was bleeding. She doesn’t have a phone to call anyone but is texting me off of social media. I want to help her and make sure that she’s okay. I’m so worried and I just want her to be safe. What should I do or say?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like your friend is in a scary situation and it makes sense that you are worried about her. You are being a really good friend and it’s good that she has you for support. It may also help for your friend to talk with a teacher, school counselor, relative, or other trustworthy adult.

Your friend’s safety is really important to us too. You can file an abuse report for your friend, the national child abuse hotline is Child Help, 800-422-4453 and they may be able to help with having her removed from the home. Also, your friend can make a report with them and if it would help we can call with your friend call to make the abuse report.Teachers are also able to make abuse reports. If your friend leaves home and goes to stay with someone else then her mother could file a runaway report but if the police are informed that your friend is being abused then they are not supposed to return your friend to the home until the investigation of abuse is completed.

Thank you again for reaching out. It took a lot of courage to get in touch with us in such a tough situation. We are here for you and your friend 24/7 so please don’t hesitate to reach out again at any time if you need us. If your friend can reach out to us by phone or on chat we can further discuss her options with her. We wish you both the best of luck.

My friend was being abused by his uncle and ran away again and now cops are looking for him and i am really scared for him and i just want his life to be normal.What should i do about my friend?

Comment

Reply: My friend was being abused

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them.
      It’s great that your friend has your support and concern, especially since this time is probably quite difficult for them.
      Being abused is not the fault of your friend. They don’t deserve to have this happen to them.
      There are laws to protect minors against abuse. If your friend would like to file an abuse report they may do so by contacting Child Help USA at: 1-800-422-4453

NRS can also assist with filing a child abuse report and assist with trying to locate a safe emergency shelter. Giving your friend support by reaching out to NRS says a lot about your character.
      They are lucky to have you as a friend.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.

We are here as support to help both you and your friend through this challenging time.
      We can best help by phone or chat. If you or your friend would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m worried about my friend

I don’t know how to help her. She has come to school crying because of things that have happened at home and told me how her dad hurts her younger brother. Her parents continually argue and yesterday she told me that her dad was going to file for a divorce and take custody of her even though she hates him. He says how her younger brother ruins the family and says he could fatally hurt him so he is forced into adoption. What do I do?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. Your friend is lucky to have someone like you that is there for them to find help. One option that your friend has is filing an abuse report. They can reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or at childhelp.org to get more information about child abuse reporting or to just get support surrounding the issue and their home life. You can also give them our information so that we could try to hep action plan with them their options and figure out what they think is best for them. We can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Is there a counselor or other trusted adult at school that you think you both could turn to for help? If not, we may be able to connect them wit the legal help they may need.

Let us know how we can best help,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

My friend is being abused by her mom and her sisters and she's constantly told to do and then she's meant to stay home to watch her mom's other three kids while she is only 13 and she's missing out on a lot of school and I don't know what to do she's constantly torture 2 is bullied around and I'm really scared for her please help she's a transgender she swore she wants to she wants to trans to man please help

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us tonight. It's great of you to be looking out for your friend and to want to find them help. Your friend has the option of filing an abuse report if they feel abused or neglected at home. A number they can reach out to about that or for other legal advice would be Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You also mentioned them being transgender and being bullied. If they want to talk to someone about their experiences they can call the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743. They are not alone and they are people that want to help. We are also here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you or them want other support.

Good luck,

NRS

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                My friend is being abused by her mother and she doesn't want to tell anyone. She told me that she didn't want me to tell. But being a good friend is not telling but doing the right thing is telling. She also said that she doesn't care since it's the first time she has been abused and that she doesn't want her mother taken away. I told her that I'd rather her safe then abused and hurt. I don't know what to do, tell an adult and help her, or watch her come to school hurt?
                You have to tell someone it is the right thing to do. It’s your choice be a good friend,or save her life? I pick save her life.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                  My girlfriend is 15 and is living with her mom and her abusive, mentally controlling dad. He has been a threat to her wellbeing for a long time (her whole life) but now he recently hit her again. Her mom is very sweet and kind to her when they are alone or just without her dad but she stood by as her dad hit her. She constantly says she hates her dad and wants to end her life because of it. Im so scared for her i know she is in so much pain and im worried she is going to just snap. I dont know how to help her, please help.
                  Tell someone. Look up the phone number for child services, please it will save her.

Comment

Okay so prom night. My friends and I went to prom no one really wanted to go to post prom so I suggested to go to my house and have a bonfire have smores and soda. Things were going good until my best friend got a phone call from her mom saying how the school called her saying she wasn't at post prom. Next phone call was my second best friend from her father I don't know that conversation very well all i know is it didn't end very well. The one I'm mostly concerned with is the last call which was my best guy friend. Their mother called freaking out on them about how they didn't go and she was saying how we were bad influences saying how we were probably doing illegal things(alcoholand drugs) Which I might add I have two police officers as neighbors (which werent home at the time) and I'm not that kind of person. Plus my parents and brother were home. But anyway she was saying how they can't hang out with us anymore and one of the guys said "Why are you taking me away from my friends? If your doing so then I have nothing and I'd just kill myself." Their mom continued to say to go ahead and do it. She had previously called other parents as well like my boyfriends mother telling her what a piece of s**t he was and his wh**e of a girlfriend was. She eventually came to my house tracking her sons phone. I went inside and my boyfriend told her that she can't step onto the property since its not hers and she called him disrespectful. So I got my mom up to help this situation out. She continued to rant about how the boys are losing everything and that her own car can get impounded and she didn't care. So I'm worried about the two boys because now she's been posting all this on facebook blowing things out of proportions and everything. Saying how we need to apologize to her before we can ever hangout with them again and I just dont know what to do. I've been told that they can take legal action against her and a restraining order placed on her. I just think that they are possibly in danger with their own mother. Please help me.

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you are in a really hard situation and are unsure of where to turn. We are not legal experts and wouldn't be able to speak accurately to the specifics of your friend's situations. Do you have other adults or people at school that can advocate for you and your friends to their mom? If you fear that there is abuse going on or want to ask questions about the process of reporting abuse, you can reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can also reach out to the police and ask questions about what your friend's rights are as minors and ask more questions about the specific instance of verbal abuse from the night you described. Child Help or the police would have the information most helpful to you.

If you want to talk more about this or need more resources, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,

NRS

Comment

my friend is being abused by her mom and her dad isn’t exactly in the picture her mom hasn’t done anything for awhile until today and my friend has tried dcfs but somehow her mom is fine she’s ran away a couple of time so the police never believe her when she says her mom hits her i don’t know what to do she’s hiding in her basement waiting for her mom to go to sleep so she can come to my house

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about what your friend has been facing but are glad that she has a friend like you that is trying to look out for her. We want your friend to know that they deserve to feel safe in their home and are sorry to hear that the police don't believe her. Does she have an adult in her life, like a family member or school counselor, that can advocate for her? If not, she could give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 and we could call out to Child Help with her. Child Help is a child abuse reporting hotline and also a hotline to help minors understand their rights and what they can do in their specific situation. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453 if you and she want to call out to them, but we can also help you do that. Don't hesitate to reach out to us and let us know how we can best help.

Best,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X