My friend is being abused.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: my friend in another state is being abused by his dad

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us. It seems like you want to help your friend who may be in a dangerous situation. You seem really concerned! It can be tough to find answers and resources when you live in a different state. It's understandable to want to help your friend. It may be helpful to talk with them about what they need to stay safe. It may be a person to reach out to, a place they can go instead of being home, hobbies they can get into to relieve some of the stress, etc. Talk with them about what they might need. You can give them our number that they can use for help if the need it. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to talk or find additional resources.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Abuse at home

My girlfriend is being abused bygger mom and her dad doesn't do anything and doesnt have a say in it she came to school today with a black eye from her mom and doesnt want to tell anyone because she feels she will be ripped apart from her family and move far away and doesnt want her dad to suffer due to the consequences from her mother.

Comment

Re: Abuse at home

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out on behalf of your girlfriend on our forum. We are so sorry to hear she’s being abused by her mom and we hope she knows she does not deserve to be given a black eye. She has a right to make a report and it’s understandable to be concerned. Typically, Child Protective Services (CPS) is going to try every attempt to keep families together. Sometimes they do remove children/youth from the home; however, often they will recommend family counseling, mediation, contracts, etc. first. We cannot speak for the local CPS in your girlfriend’s city/state, although hopefully they will take her report if you or she wishes to make one. If we know her city/state, we can look up the local contact. Otherwise, there is Child Help USA https://www.childhelp.org/. They might be a helpful place to start even if your girlfriend does not wish to make a report since they can provide information on abuse as well. It sounds like you care for your girlfriend very much and she cares about her family not being ripped apart. Another idea would be to reach out to the Domestic Violence Hotline http://www.thehotline.org/ to see if they could offer her dad support if her mother’s abuse is towards him as well. We hope this helps you both and wish you the best of luck!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Re: My friend is being abused.

My friend is being abused physically and mentally by her father and her mother just stands by and watches it happen. Her mother also abuses her mentally but it's gotten to the point where she is having suicidal thoughts and wishing she was never born. She doesn't want to tell anyone and she's scared uif she does her mother will lie and say her father hasn't done anything (which her mother has done before). I try to help her but even she doesn't want me to jump in on it. I don't know what to do to help her anymore, I'm lost myself.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you so much for reaching out on behalf of your friend. It sounds like your friend is in a reallyt bad situation. She does not deserve to be abused in any way, and we are here to listen and help however we can. Your friend has a right to make an abuse report if she wants to. This is a big step to take and it is understandable to feel afraid of what will happen. If you would like to give your friend our number, we are totally confidential and can talk to her about her situation and help her make a plan to stay safe. It sounds like she has been thinking about suicide. One resource that could be really helpful is the National Suicide Lifeline, who she can call at 1-800-273-8255 or go to www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. It sounds like you really care about your friend and you don't want to break her trust by telling anyone about what is going on. If you do feel that she is in danger of killing herself, you might consider reaching out to a counselor at school. We are here to listen and support you and your friend in any way that we can. Don't hesitate to call us or give your friend our number so we can help her decide what to do about her situation. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

My friend is being abused.

Hello. I am 18 and my friend is 12. She lives in Ohio and I live in New York. My friend has a very long history. She has been adopted by these crazy, heartless people. They tell her to kill herself, hurt herself, they allow her to get bullied at school, they physically and verbally abuse her, and they lock her outside for periods of time. Her father disabled her phone so she can't call anyone. She has called the police and no luck was found. I don't know what to do and I really need to find a way to help her. Please help.

Comment

RE: My friend is being abused.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you care about your friend so much and you are being a great friend by reaching out for help. Your friend does not deserve to be abused or treated so terribly. What her adopted family is doing is illegal and she has a right to get help. Calling the police can be a good step to take, however reporting child abuse to Child Protective Services might be a good way for her to get help. You could even make a report on her behalf since she is unable to use her phone. The Ohio Child Abuse Hotline number is 1-855-642-4453, you can call any time to report what is happening to your friend. Another helpful resource is Child Help USA, a national child abuse crisis line. You can call them at 1-800-422-4453. Once reported, CPS may open an investigation to determine if the home is unsafe. She can also call us and we can help her make a report, or chat with us online. We are happy to go over all her options and help her figure out what to do next. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you need to talk. We are looking forward to hearing from you or your friend, and we wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Please help

So, my best friends mom is verbally and physically abusing her and im very worried.She has had to leave her mom before and she doesnt want to go into foster care.I dont her to be mad if i tell but.. Im not sure if i should tell my parents and ask if she can stay with us. She doesn't want me telling anyone so what should i do?!?!

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your friend are both in really tough situations. It’s great that your friend has someone like you to help her through this. No one deserves to be abused, and your friend should not have to go through that. If your friend is ever in immediate danger, she could call 911.

That sounds really hard that you want to help your friend, but you also don’t want to go against her wishes and tell someone else about what’s been going on.

If your friend changes her mind and is thinking about reporting the abuse, she could consider calling Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 to get more information. She could also call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online to get more information or get help filing a report if she’s interested in that.

There are resources out there that could help you work through your challenges with helping your friend, help your friend get to a safe place, and help with anything else you or your friend may need. If you or your friend want more details about resources or you’d like to talk more about what’s been going on, you can call us or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. You and your friend have been going through a tough time, but you’ve shown strength by reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future you can call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X