Self-Injury: Don't do it!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Injury: Don't do it!!!

Okay, I just want to say that I have self-injured in the past. It's taken me so long to realize that self-injury is not the answer; so I'm here to warn you against it.

I'm glad to say that NRS is working with me to try to help me solve some of the issues I'm dealing with right now because of the self-injury.

If you've just started to self-injure, stop while you can. It gets to be addictive over time.
    All that you're left with are more problems and a mess of ugly scars that can't be erased.

If you've never self-injured, but have thought about it, talk to someone. Don't even start. It only causes more problems and more pain.

Please, take advice from someone who's been down that road before. If things don't seem like there getting better, hope. Have hope that tomorrow will be better than today. It sounds corny, but it's true. Just hang on.

The NRS forums are a great place to ask for advice, especially if you're shy to talk to people (in person) about issues like I am. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

I don't know if this will offer hope to anyone, but if it offers hope to atleast one person, than I have succeded with the goal I had with posting this topic.

Thank you NRS.

Re: Self-Injury: Don't do it!!!

I'm so glad to hear that we have been helpful. We are here 24 hours a day, so if you want to post a bulletin or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY we will try and help in anyway we can. Thank you for the hopeful message and best of luck to you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

will someone please help me? Ive been hurting myself for over a year now and i can't seem to stop. Everytime something bad happens to me or I can't deal with something, I end up hurting myself. I have so many scars on my body and I'm beginning to cover up my entire body so nobody sees the scars and ask what they're from. Will someone please help me? I want to get better. I really do.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your story and we hope that we can be of service to you in this time of need. We are very nonjudgmental and confidential and we really want to hear from you at our 1800runaway number. It sounds like you use your self-injury at a coping mechanisms because that could mean that it is one of the few ways you know how to get by. We hear you that you have to cover up yourself to avoid being put out there by your friends and that must be difficult in that you are truly seeking help and it sounds like you are on the right path once you contact us. When you self injure, what do you tell yourself or do that works to keep you from hurting yourself? What does hurting yourself do for you? What effects does your hurting yourself have on your relationship with your parents, friends, siblings? Are there any particular feelings you experience that make you want to hurt yourself? Are there nay particular things that happen to you that make you want to hurt yourself? How would your friends really act if they found out? These are just a few things to consider if you were to call us. We hope you use this time to empower yourself to call and we look forward to hearing from you. Good luck.

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

i have "self-injured" myself before everything that she/he said is very true. If you start it's hard to stop, but it's not impossible. You just have to find something to make you want to get better. When my "sister"(she's actually my cousin but whatev) had her daughter and i became an "aunt" that made me want to get better. Now she's pregnant again and i don't plan on starting that again. I have my 2year old niece to thank for my life and my sanity.

-sugar_bunnie_2011

Comment

Thanks so much for writing in and sharing your story with us. Sometimes it helps to know that other people have dealt with or are still dealing with a similar issue. Self-injury is a very difficult thing to go through, and many times people want to stop, but it isn’t always easy to do. But as you said in your post it isn’t impossible. It’s wonderful that you found something that made you want to stop hurting yourself. You mentioned that your niece has been a real saving grace in your relationship and that is great.

In the end deciding that self-injury is something you want to stop is often times a very personal experience, but that doesn’t mean that you have to go through it on your own. If anyone ever needs to talk about a situation they are going through, whether it’s concerning self-injury or something else, we are here to listen 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Thanks again for sharing and take care.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X