Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boyfriend went to rehab unexpectedly.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boyfriend went to rehab unexpectedly.

Yesterday on my way home from work my boyfriend calls me crying telling me he is going to rehab in a couple hours. I was so confused. I had no idea he had an addiction... to anything. He had been taking opiates. I feel so broken. I feel betrayed. It's not the fact that he was using them. It's the lying that gets to me. I would always ask him "Where is all of your money going? You never have money." He never took me out. If we ever did anything... I always payed. He told me he was saving up or a car. Turns out there is no money in his bank for a car. He has no money in the bank at all. It had all just gone to pills. He has been borrowing money from four different cash advances and is in debt once again. To be honest I feel so much anger more than anything. The way I feel is indescribable. I went to the rehab with him and his family to check him in. We said our goodbyes. We cant speak to him during his detox. Who knows how long that will take. I'm so confused. Do I stay? Or do I move on? The only reason I am still living in the state I'm currently in is because of him. My life is in Florida. Where my family and friends are. I told him that. Now that he is not here with me.. what do I do? He is the only person I would hangout with. My life revolves around him. He is my bestfriend, or so I thought. We had our work schedules the same so that we could spend as much time together. It's sad because the day before, I was waiting around my house for him to get out of class at 10pm. Turns out he never went to class. He went to the doctors with his parents instead after telling them about his addiction. 10 o'clock rolls around and he called to tell me he is tired and going to bed. I could really punch him in the face. Any advice for me? I could really use it. I dont know what to do. I'm sad, broken, alone, scared, and really angry.

Re: my boyfriend went to rehab unexpectedly

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard and sharing your story. We apologize for not being able to respond sooner. It sounds like you’re going through a rough time without your boyfriend which is making you question whether you should be with him. It’s understandable all of these questions and emotions are coming up after finding out he was being dishonest with you.

You obviously care about him a lot seeing that even after he was dishonest you accompanied him to the detox center. He’s really lucky to have such a patient caring partner. It also sounds like you’re lonely without him but unhappy about the dishonesty and financial burden all of which is normal in such a situation. What do you want in a relationship and do your values align?

Have you ever heard of the National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline? (1-866-331-9474) They’re a great 24hr hotline that work with youth on these very issues. Their website has tons of information, articles, videos, etc. that might answer your questions as well. There is another organization called Families Anonymous (1800-736-9805) that is not a hotline but they connect you with a 12 step support group in your area, for anyone affected by a loved one’s addictions. You also said you were from Florida but currently not living there. If you give us a call we could also find you counseling resources in your area that might be able to provide the support you need.

We hope these resources help you. Please feel free to call us as at our toll free confidential hotline 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat live with us from 4:30-7:00pm central time.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X