No announcement yet.

17 Year old Wants to Leave Home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 Year old Wants to Leave Home

    My 17 year old son would like to move out and live with a friend until 18. I have no problem with it as we haven't been close for years and typically have issues. If I give permission/consent for him to move out before his 18th birthday is that legally possible? He's got about 4 months until he's 18, which I know may not be long. But he came up to me a few nights ago and explained how he would like to move on with his life. I've read about emancipation but I don't think it's worth it for this short of a time period.

  • #2

    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are not legal experts, and it might be helpful to find out about pertinent laws in your state. However, we can say that emancipation can take a long time and/or be quite expensive. As for granting permission, parents can often grant permission for a youth to live with someone else, but again you would want to research your state’s laws about the limits of that permission. We hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions, we are available to talk or chat 24/7. Good luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I want to move out with my boyfriend I live in England but don’t know if I will get forced to come home because I am 17 my mum doesn’t understand anything I say she makes me want to kill myself


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

        We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp