No announcement yet.

Parent looking for advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Parent looking for advice

    I am a father of a 17 yr old run away in Virginia, who is now out of state. I understand my legal recourse and responsibility in keeping my child safe, but that is not the question.

    We have been in contact and working on her reluctantly returning soon. She is very intelligent, as I assume most of the young people on this post are. She graduated HS at 16, and is attempting to get some community college completed (if she would stay in one place). Unfortunately, she has this passing relationship with truth and honesty. She is very manipulative, convincing, and is willing to take advantage of others. Not a good combination. We tried getting her to work with a normal counseling, but it seems that this was not real helpful. I am assuming the counselor might have been railroaded by her ability to be deceptive.

    She will be 18 soon, and I am sure her will not want to be home. Heartbreaking as that is to a parent, my legal obligation is what it is. I was wondering if there are any counseling or other resources out there might aid her prior to 18, or any young person with taking a more positive control of their situation prior to actually running. I still want her to get the tools to deal with her problems. When she leaves my house, she has to take herself and all her issues with her. A person can not run away from themselves.

  • #2

    Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that your daughter has struggled to take control of her situation. Your concern and support for her well-being is admirable, and we will do our best to help you continue supporting her in her efforts to become more independent. Options for her can vary depending on what she may be comfortable doing.

    One option might be for her to explore whether transitional and/or independent housing would be appropriate for her. Transitional and/or independent housing are more long-term shelter options for young adults looking to transition towards being fully independent. These agencies often include case management, may also offer counseling, or may link youth to supportive resources that can facilitate their independence. Other options might include exploring whether the college she chooses to attend has counseling services available for the students, or if there are youth-centered organizations in her area. Whether these resources are an option for your daughter depend on the space they may have, as well as whether there are such agencies in the state your daughter chooses to live. If this is something she would like to explore while she is still underage, it may be an option available to her if her legal guardians consent to her staying there. If either of you requires more information on these, or any other resources, you are welcome to reach out to us.

    Whatever she decides to explore transitional and/or independent living, or any other options, please know that we are here to support you both. We welcome the opportunity to help brainstorm options that might be available, and encourage you both to give us a call or send us a chat. We are available 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or via chat by visiting us at . We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp