15yo living with 18yo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15yo living with 18yo

My 15 yo son is dating an 18 yo girl. She was kicked out by her mother. Can she legally stay with us? They have been sexually active I recently found out. Though I do not condone sexual activity, the girlfriend has no where to go. What can I do without having any legal issues?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate you taking in this young person to ensure she is safe. These situations can certainly be tricky, and your safety and well-being is important as well. We are not legal experts, but generally speaking once a young person reaches the age of majority (18 in most states except for Mississippi, Alabama, and Nebraska) they are considered a legal adult. This means that your son's girlfriend has the legal freedom to choose where she lives and you would not face any legal consequences for giving her a safe place to live. If you do live in a state where the age of majority is older than 18, you can call your local police department's non-emergency number to ask questions about their protocol regarding this situation.

We hope this information helps! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns, we are available 24/7.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X