No announcement yet.

I want to save my 15 y.o. niece

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to save my 15 y.o. niece

    I currently reside in NYS and my niece lives in NC with my sister (her mother). I have reason to believe that she is in imminent danger and has dealt with years of abuse. I have pictures of bruises that my sister has given her, scars from my sister putting cigarettes out on her skin, and scars from my sister throwing knives at her because she was so pissed. This doesn't even touch the emotional and verbal abuse they have put her through.
    CPS has been called multiple times, investigations have been done, and case after case has been closed. There is currently an investigation taking place because her father was accused of making sexual advances towards basically any young woman that enters that house.
    She wants to runaway and come up here to live with me, but I don't want to get into any legal trouble if I allow her to. What are the options? What should I tell her to do? I need to help her, she doesn't deserve to be treated like this. Please help me to help her!

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out, we know it can be hard to share your story. It sounds like you care a great deal about your niece. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused and it’s understandable that you are upset and worried. You stated before that CPS has come out to investigate previously but you can always file another report. It may be helpful to show CPS workers proof that abuse is occurring (pictures, texts, etc.) If you’d like help you can always find your local CPS office by going to You can also contact us directly and we can help you through the reporting process.

    We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but if your niece does leave home her parents to have the right to file a runaway report. If a report is filed and your niece is found at your home you may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway can vary widely from state to state, officer to officer and how your sister views the situation.

    It may also be beneficial for your niece to contact us directly. She can reach us 24/7 by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on the top of our homepage. We are here to listen and provide support in any way that we can.

    All the best,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp