I’m 16, and my father just got custody of me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 16, and my father just got custody of me

My parents divorced when I was 2, and since then, I have lived with my mother. In June, we had a hearing because my dad filed for full, or at least the main part of partial custody. His reasoning was that I wasn’t doing well in school, and he wanted to see what was going on. He won, and now I’m stuck 2000 miles away from my mom, and my whole life. And just today, I found out that it won’t just be this year, but also next year. I had no say in the matter, and since coming here, I have been physically and verbally abused, but nobody ever listens when I say anything about it. I just want to get home. I’m already clinically depressed, and this is genuinely pushing me to suicidal thoughts. I know it seems silly to throw away my whole life over two years, but it just doesn’t seem worth it anymore. My dad is set on fixing me, but he just keeps making everything worse. I can’t forgive him for what has happened, and I’ve been refusing to do my schoolwork because it’s the only power I have. I can’t keep this up much longer. I’m approaching a breaking point and it isn’t going to be pretty. Please help! I just want to get back home.

Reply: I’m 16, and my father just got custody of me

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We are sorry that things are not going well between you and your mom. That must be pretty hard for you. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. You do not deserve to be abused and it is not your fault that your father abuses you. There are laws to protect children from abuse. Also though it might be hard you might consider letting someone like your mother know what’s going on.

Your safety and well-being is important.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Sometimes situations can feel overwhelming and that’s when reaching out for help is important.You did well reaching out today. We would like you to know NRS is here to listen and here to help. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.
    Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X