My 17 yr old daughter has left home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 17 yr old daughter has left home

I have a daughter who just turned 17in October and is Bipolar with severe mood swings. She has been going back and forth to my mom's place where she has no rules or guidance. I have asked my mom not to pick her up and give my daughter that option but instead I've read text messages where she is encouraging her to keep bags packed for the next time she leaves. SoitsSo not easy when I'm trying toheal her and the opposite is happening on the other end. I just don't know what to do. I know im responsible for her but I have no way of knowing the truth if she's taking her meds or not. We live in Florida any help or advice would be great.

Hi there,
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    While we’re not experts when it comes to parenting children with mental health issues, we do know it’s important to create a healthy environment. It sounds like you’re doing your best to establish clear guidelines and create that environment and you’re not being supported by your mother. We understand the frustration. It’s difficult and when you’re not getting the support you need to raise your child.
    Talking to your mother and child directly about what you specifically need to create the most supportive and structured environment is important. Sometimes when everyone feels invested in the decisions, what’s needed is better supported by everyone. If your daughter has a therapist, they might be a good resource to help. Other resources that may be able to provide better information are NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) 800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741 or SAMHSA (Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration) 877-726-4727.
    For help keeping your daughter on schedule with her medications, pill and medication reminder apps like Medisafe can be very helpful.
    Again, we want to thank you for reaching out to us. We know you’re doing your best and contacting us is a good step. We’re here to help and listen at all times. Please feel free to call anytime at 800-786-2929. We support you and we hope you find a solution.
    Best--NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X